Isaac Wingfield

Default Recipe : All-corn cornbread

In article <VQ2Eb.15712$F22.9991@lakeread02>,
"Dave" > wrote:

> My grandmother baked cornbread in a glass casserole (don't remember the
> size) when she stopped frying it in a cast-iron skillet. I remember hers
> being loaded down with shortening which bubbled up around the sides when it
> came out. It was good, but I liked the fried cornbread patties more.

I don't know if this is what you are talking about, but here's my
family recipe for:

Scalded Bread

1 1/2 to 2 Cups corn meal (mom used white)
1 teaspoon salt
boiling water
2 to 3 Tablespoons fat for cooking

Pour boiling water into meal until stiff enough to form into cakes with
hands.

Turn on the cold water tap; run hands under water to prevent scalding
yourself, and to prevent the meal from sticking.

Form hand-sized cakes 1/2" to 3/4 " thick.

Put into medium-hot fat (mom would have used bacon drippings), and cook
until they begin to brown; turn and cook other side. (They won't brown
uniformly; don't worry). I don't remember, but suspect cooking time would
be around 10 minutes a side - you want to get the middle cooked.

Serve hot. Slice throught the middle and slather with butter.

Note: these are solid things. They don't rise at all.

Isaac