Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Peter Roozemaal Peter Roozemaal is offline

Default Too much tea or stepped too long?

Prof Wonmug wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 13:29:53 +0200, Peter Roozemaal
> > wrote:
>
>> Prof Wonmug wrote:
>>> Also, some of the strong blacks, like Assams, have a taste that is (to
>>> me) a lot like bitter even when brewed for very short times.
>>>
>>> Is it true that bitterness only occurs from steeping too long? I would
>>> think that no tea would be bitter in a 30 second steep no matter how
>>> much leaf is used. Is that right?

>> Some teas have a natural bitterness, because some tea-drinkers prefer a
>> somewhat bitter cup. If you don't like it, pick another tea.

> Some teas have more of a bite than others, to be sure. I was about to
> discard that Assam, but I tried Dominic's suggestion of going all the
> way down to a 15 second steep and I was able to find a set of
> parameters that are not bad at all.

I tried a Ceylon a few months ago and while it was possible to brew
acceptable pots of tea, it was pale in comparison with a Yunnan or
Keemun. (You can't extract from the leaves what is not there.) I usually
have better experiences with Assams producing a malty or "tobaccoish" brew.

> Of course, it's also possible that my tastes are changing. There are a
> lot of food that I like know that I didn't 20 years ago and
> vice-versa.

Being aware of what you're eating and drinking and discussing it makes
you grow. And there is a natural tendency to prefer less sweet foods
when you grow older.