Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin Lewis Perin is offline

Default Too much tea or stepped too long?

"Dominic T." > writes:

> [...]
> The basic steps, of approx. 1tsp of leaf to about 6oz. of water is
> where to start almost always when unfamiliar.

Sorry, but I really don't think it's this simple. One teaspoon of CTC
tea, which is extremely dense, is a *lot*. One teaspoon of a fluffy
whole leaf tea that hasn't been twisted or rolled, like some
leaf-and-a-bud white teas, can be barely enough to scent the water
it's steeped in. If you want a default starting place, the weight of
the leaves, not their volume, is what you need.

It's true that, with experience, a scale may not be necessary, but
only if you've become practiced at eyeballing the approximate weight
of the leaves you have in front of you no matter how they've been
manufactured.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /