Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dominic T. Dominic T. is offline

Default Too much tea or stepped too long?

On Oct 18, 6:12*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
> On 18 Oct 2009 16:36:04 -0400, Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> >Prof Wonmug > writes:

> >> Fairly often when I am trying to figure out the right brewing
> >> parameters for a tea, I get a cup that is too much of something, but I
> >> can't always tell whether it's too strong or bitter.

> >> Is there some way I can learn how to tell the difference?

> Maybe I am looking for a difference that doesn't exist.
>
> I have done tests where I brewed a tea at a low strength (<1g/cup) for
> a long time (>5 min) and got a cup that seemed to me to be both weak
> and bitter.
>
> On the other hand, in trying some suggestions here for much more leaf
> (3-5g/cup) for short times (10-30 seconds), I've gotten a cup that did
> not have any of that biting bitterness, but was too strong.
>
> Unless I'm way off base, I think I can detect the different when it's
> extreme. The problem is when I brew something at medium strength for
> medium time. If it's off, I can't always tell whether I should reduce
> the amoubnt of leaf or the time.
>
> >I'm not sure what "too strong" would mean if the liquor is neither too
> >bitter nor too astringent.

> I think I can detect astringency.
>
> >> I think I can recognize when it's gotten very bitter, because of the
> >> "bite". But when it's only slightly bitter, I have difficult
> >> distinguishing that from just too strong.

> >> Also, some of the strong blacks, like Assams, have a taste that is (to
> >> me) a lot like bitter even when brewed for very short times.

> >> Is it true that bitterness only occurs from steeping too long? I would
> >> think that no tea would be bitter in a 30 second steep no matter how
> >> much leaf is used. Is that right?

> >Not for me, at least. *Last week I made some Assam that was too harsh
> >for me in 15 seconds. *Too much leaf.

> By "harsh" do you mean "bitter"?

The basic steps, of approx. 1tsp of leaf to about 6oz. of water is
where to start almost always when unfamiliar. Then change time and
water temp to adjust. For a black tea go with boil or just off boil
water, start at 15 seconds. Go to 30, 45, etc. until you hit the sweet
spot for you.

There is no magic to this all, I think you are making it more
difficult than it needs to be... and some teas just will never be for
you. Assams are usually drunk with milk and or sugar/honey... if you
aren't up for that, then move to a new tea.

- Dominic