Posted to rec.food.cooking
Default User Default User is offline

Default Will green tomatoes ripen if I pick 'em now?

Chemo the Clown wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2:58*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> > It's supposed to frost within the week, and my tomato plants have
> > lots of green tomatoes on them. Should I pick them and bring the
> > green tomatoes inside and let them ripen, and will they?

> Here's a good read:
> http://gardening.about.com/od/growin...een_Tomato.htm

That's good information. I too have the concerns about the remaining
tomatoes in the neighbor-shocking front-yard garden. I picked about a
half-dozen wave last week. Interestingly, the skins are somewhat
mottled and kind of tough. Tomatoes are good though. Some have started
to ripen, and there are still quite a few greenies.

I haven't heard that there's supposed to be frost in STL that soon. The
ten-day forecasts online show lower 40s at one point. Highs only in the
50s and 60s though, which will sure slow them down.

Brian

--
Day 245 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project