Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Will green tomatoes ripen if I pick 'em now?

It's supposed to frost within the week, and my tomato plants have lots
of green tomatoes on them. Should I pick them and bring the green
tomatoes inside and let them ripen, and will they?

Maybe a stupid question, but...

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 5, 2:58*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> It's supposed to frost within the week, and my tomato plants have lots
> of green tomatoes on them. Should I pick them and bring the green
> tomatoes inside and let them ripen, and will they?
>
> Maybe a stupid question, but...
>
> John Kuthe...

Here's a good read: http://gardening.about.com/od/growin...een_Tomato.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 5, 5:02*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Oct 5, 2:58*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>
> > It's supposed to frost within the week, and my tomato plants have lots
> > of green tomatoes on them. Should I pick them and bring the green
> > tomatoes inside and let them ripen, and will they?

> > Maybe a stupid question, but...

> > John Kuthe...

> Here's a good read:http://gardening.about.com/od/growin...een_Tomato.htm

Thanks Chemo!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> It's supposed to frost within the week, and my tomato plants have lots
> of green tomatoes on them. Should I pick them and bring the green
> tomatoes inside and let them ripen, and will they?
>
> Maybe a stupid question, but...
>
> John Kuthe...

Yes they will. Don't take any that are dark green, they will have tough
skin, thin meat when red. Choose tomatoes that are beginning to lighten,
preferably those with some 'white' on them. I always box them shoulder side
down. Check through them weekly. You'll probably use the last of them
Thanksgiving week. Some people wrap them individually in newspaper, but I
have never seen that slow ripening or provide any other positive benefit. A
cooler, dark room is preferable to a brightly sunny and warm one. Don't put
them in an area that gets to refrigerator temps or you will destroy the
tomato flavor. If your promised frost is marginal, you can probably cover
the plants with sheets or similar to get them through the low temps. Don't
cover with plastic as that transmits the cold. Good luck
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2:58*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> > It's supposed to frost within the week, and my tomato plants have
> > lots of green tomatoes on them. Should I pick them and bring the
> > green tomatoes inside and let them ripen, and will they?

> Here's a good read:
> http://gardening.about.com/od/growin...een_Tomato.htm

That's good information. I too have the concerns about the remaining
tomatoes in the neighbor-shocking front-yard garden. I picked about a
half-dozen wave last week. Interestingly, the skins are somewhat
mottled and kind of tough. Tomatoes are good though. Some have started
to ripen, and there are still quite a few greenies.

I haven't heard that there's supposed to be frost in STL that soon. The
ten-day forecasts online show lower 40s at one point. Highs only in the
50s and 60s though, which will sure slow them down.

Brian

--
Day 245 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 14:58:44 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>It's supposed to frost within the week, and my tomato plants have lots
>of green tomatoes on them. Should I pick them and bring the green
>tomatoes inside and let them ripen, and will they?

It they're witeish at the stem end there's a good chance they will
ripen. But green tomatoes make excellent pickles, follow a fermented
pickle recipe. You can also slice, dredge in seasoned cornmeal,
and fry them (fried green tomatoes).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> It's supposed to frost within the week, and my tomato plants have lots
> of green tomatoes on them. Should I pick them and bring the green
> tomatoes inside and let them ripen, and will they?

No.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 5, 10:14*pm, "dejablues" > wrote:
> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message

> > It's supposed to frost within the week, and my tomato plants have lots
> > of green tomatoes on them. Should I pick them and bring the green
> > tomatoes inside and let them ripen, and will they?

> No.

YES! Do the newspaper thing. One year when I was a teenager, we had
at least three BUSHELS of green tomatoes that Dad rescued from an
early frost. He brought 'em in to the garage, wrapped each one
individually in newsprint and nestled them into grocery boxes. In our
root cellar (under the front steps, entrance in the basement, gravel/
rocks floor, stayed between 40 to 60 degrees year round. Where we kept
potatoes, squash, onions, Mom's canned stuff . . . ) We only lost a
few and had fresh tomatoes until Christmas!
Lynn in Fargo
But that was in Bismarck!

Green tomatoes zxcvbob Preserving 8 19-09-2011 10:29 AM
Green tomatoes elaich General Cooking 12 21-10-2008 07:06 PM
Green Tomatoes - What to do? ~patches~ General Cooking 24 01-10-2005 04:01 PM
Green Tomatoes Tank General Cooking 48 21-10-2004 08:53 AM
green tomatoes Dennis Marlin General Cooking 2 18-10-2004 08:29 PM