Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick[_2_] Janet Bostwick[_2_] is offline

Default Will green tomatoes ripen if I pick 'em now?

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> It's supposed to frost within the week, and my tomato plants have lots
> of green tomatoes on them. Should I pick them and bring the green
> tomatoes inside and let them ripen, and will they?
>
> Maybe a stupid question, but...
>
> John Kuthe...

Yes they will. Don't take any that are dark green, they will have tough
skin, thin meat when red. Choose tomatoes that are beginning to lighten,
preferably those with some 'white' on them. I always box them shoulder side
down. Check through them weekly. You'll probably use the last of them
Thanksgiving week. Some people wrap them individually in newspaper, but I
have never seen that slow ripening or provide any other positive benefit. A
cooler, dark room is preferable to a brightly sunny and warm one. Don't put
them in an area that gets to refrigerator temps or you will destroy the
tomato flavor. If your promised frost is marginal, you can probably cover
the plants with sheets or similar to get them through the low temps. Don't
cover with plastic as that transmits the cold. Good luck
Janet