Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gene Gene is offline

Default Question: Converting ti infrared

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 21:45:09 -0700, "Theron" >
wrote:

>"Gene" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:25:06 -0700, "Theron" >
>> wrote:

om...

>>>If you don't have cast iron grates on your Brinkmann try to find a cast
>>>iron
>>>grate that will fit. Grill with the flat side of the grade toward the meat
>>>and you'll get the most sear possible. Plain cast iron is fine, but
>>>keeping
>>>it seasoned and rust free on a outside gas grill is almost impossible, for
>>>me at least. If you can find a porceleinized grate, that's probably the
>>>best. Stainless steel is the worst grate material from a searing
>>>standpoint.. Doing this made quite a difference for me; it's not anything
>>>like charcoal, but better than before.
>>>
>>>Ed
>>>

>> Yes, I have porcelin covered cast iron grates.
>>
>> The searing process has nothing to do with the type of grate and
>> EVERYTHING to do with how high a heat you can get.
>>

>Gene, the heat output from the propane burner is low to the point where any
>"sear" comes from the grate. The degree of "sear" with the same burner will
>be different with cast iron, stainless steel, and enamaled steel grates
>because of that. With charcoal, with its infrared heat output, you get a
>good "sear" that's much less dependant on the heat of the grate. The few
>times I've used a cast iron grate on my Weber charcoal grill the sear was
>pretty spectacular. However, as we all know, you get great sear from
>charcoal and steel grates you see on Weber grills. With an infrared propane
>burner on a properly designed grill the sear comes from the heat source
>itself, not the grate. Having said that, you still don't want a grate that
>obstructs the heat, like the large stainless steel grates you see on
>expensive grills.
>
>Ed

I had a Sunshine gril that I loved. It had cast iron burners, cast
iron grate, and a cast iron plate between the two. Yep, hit over 700
degrees at meat level. But the meat was 2 inches away from the flame
and one ince away from the plate.

But the grate was not the factor, anayone could understand that.

I agree stainless is really not that big a deal, even if they try to
sell you on it.

LOX is the answer.