Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack[_1_] Victor Sack[_1_] is offline

Default Rot coal!

maxine in ri > wrote:

> Or should that be rott kohl?

Rotkohl.

> Either way, there are two head of red
> cabbage in my fridge, and I shudder at the thought of vinegar, apples,
> and other braising ideas.

Why? You tried it and didn't like it? If you want a specifically
German recipe, there is very often lard or bacon fat... is that a viable
option?

> I'm thinking of something with chestnuts (found a recipe) to bring out
> the nuttiness that may be inherent in the beastie.

Can't help there, as I don't like chestnuts.

> Does cabbage take well to roasting?

Well, you can make a gratin.

Here are a couple of recipes.

Rotkohl bayerische Art
Red Cabbage Bavarian Style
serves 4

1 head red cabbage (about 1 kg/ 2.2 pounds)
1 onion
30 g (about an ounce) clarified butter
1-2 teaspoons sugar
1-2 teaspoons caraway seeds (I omit them)
salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 l (a generous cup) meat or vegetable stock or broth
3 parsley twigs
2 tablespoons lemon juice

1. Quarter the cabbage and remove the outer leaves and the core. Wash
the quarters and slice finely. Peel the onion and chop finely.

2. In a pot, heat the butter and the sugar over medium-to-high heat and
let lightly brown, stirring constantly.

3. Add the cabbage, onions, caraway, salt and pepper, and cook for a
few seconds, stirring.

4. Add the stock or broth, bring to boil, and cook, covered, over
low-to-medium heat for about 15 minutes, until just soft.

5. Wash, dry and finely chop the parsley.

6. Sprinkle lemon juice over the cabbage to taste and serve, mixed with
parsley.

Rotkohlgratin
Red Cabbage Gratin
serves 5

2 large onions
1 garlic clove
1 medium-sized head red cabbage
1 small bunch parsley
4-5 tablespoons oil
200 ml (0.8 cup) cream
3 eggs
salt
Cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground caraway (I omit it)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
200 g (7 oz) grated cheese of choice (such as Gruyère, Gouda, Edam, or
mozzarella, each making a difference)
50 g (1.8 oz) butter

1. Peel and chop separately the onions and the garlic.

2. Clean and quarter the cabbage and remove the core. Wash and finely
slice the quarters.

3. Wash, dry and finely chop the parsley.

4. Heat the oil and, in batches, brown the cabbage and onions over low
heat, stirring, remove and let cool until just warm.

5. Mix in the garlic.

6. Mix the cream together with the eggs, salt, a healthy pinch of
Cayenne pepper, caraway and thyme.

7. Layer the cabbage, the cream mixture and about two-thirds of the
cheese in two layers in a large casserole with a lid. Sprinkle with the
rest of the cheese on top.

8. Place small pats of butter on top.

9. Cover, put on the lowest shelf of the cold oven and bake at
180°C/360°F, or by convection at 160°C/320°F for 20 minutes.

10. Remove the lid and bake for 30 more minutes until the top is nicely
browned.

Victor