Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Barolo and Grosses Gewach

Last night I did steaks, broccoli, and a tomato/basil sauce with
fettucine. David and I had dinner, wine, and good conversation (it's
kind of weird - in good way- having an adult conversation about
complex and sensitive issues - race in Bed Stuy where he lives- with
someone that is no longer a kid). The dinner wine was the 1998 Guido
Porro "Vigna Lazzairasco" Barolo. A bit thin, red fruit, acidic at
first. An hour open does it a world of good, fleshes out, red plums
and cherries, smoke, rose petals. Tannins are not very evident, just
enough to stand up to meat. Not especially long. Good, not great. B

Opened for cooking and tasted over 2 days, the 2006 Pfeffingen
"Weilberg" Riesling Grosses Gewachs. Ah, the 4 Ps: petrol, pine
needles, peaches, and pineapple. Moderate acidity, lots of body (13.5%
abv), dry but nowhere near austere. Day 2 all petrol and peach. Nice
wine, would be interesting blind next to a CFE or an Austrian Smaragd.
B+

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*