Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Barolo and Grosses Gewach

Last night I did steaks, broccoli, and a tomato/basil sauce with
fettucine. David and I had dinner, wine, and good conversation (it's
kind of weird - in good way- having an adult conversation about
complex and sensitive issues - race in Bed Stuy where he lives- with
someone that is no longer a kid). The dinner wine was the 1998 Guido
Porro "Vigna Lazzairasco" Barolo. A bit thin, red fruit, acidic at
first. An hour open does it a world of good, fleshes out, red plums
and cherries, smoke, rose petals. Tannins are not very evident, just
enough to stand up to meat. Not especially long. Good, not great. B

Opened for cooking and tasted over 2 days, the 2006 Pfeffingen
"Weilberg" Riesling Grosses Gewachs. Ah, the 4 Ps: petrol, pine
needles, peaches, and pineapple. Moderate acidity, lots of body (13.5%
abv), dry but nowhere near austere. Day 2 all petrol and peach. Nice
wine, would be interesting blind next to a CFE or an Austrian Smaragd.
B+

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

'90 Bordeaux '98 Barolo Bi!! Wine 2 09-08-2009 04:03 PM
Barolo and Madeira Bill S. Wine 4 02-03-2008 03:07 AM
Inexpensive Barolo graham[_1_] Wine 3 07-09-2007 06:49 PM
Modernist Barolo? Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 15 07-09-2006 01:48 PM
Barolo Richard Neidich Wine 4 15-05-2006 03:48 PM