Posted to alt.food.sushi
Gerry[_3_] Gerry[_3_] is offline

Default Tipping at AYCE buffets?

On 2009-09-21 07:47:53 -0700, (Seth) said:

>> That sounds like you're saying that with full-service vs. AYCE, the
>> latter gets tipped higher?

> No; with a buffet (AYCE is not necessarily a buffet) I might estimate
> that the server does 40% of the work that a full-service server would
> do, so I might tip about 50% of what I would tip a full-service server
> if all else (especially the quality of service) were the same.
>
> With a non-buffet AYCE, I might very well tip higher: I might order a
> lot more times than at a typical full-service meal.

I agree that AYCE which is not buffet might have them coming and going
as often as typical full-service meal, because that IS a typical meal.
At least for me, I eat as much as I want, and need service to attend to
all that, regardless of the price-per-unit.

I guess I see a difference between All You Can Eat and All You Want to
Eat. No matter what they call them, I only eat as much as I want, not
as much as my stomach can accept.

>> In a full-service restaurant where I we have cocktails or wine, order
>> appetizers and entres and all the rest, my interaction with wait-help
>> is a conspicuous part of the event.

>> Anyway someone bringing me a drink and bussing tables, that's not in
>> the same league. They get two bucks, same as the pizza guy.

> In most buffets, if you want cocktails or wine, they're ordered and
> served exactly as in full-service restaurants.
>
> Bussing tables between customers is a lot different from clearing
> buffet plates; for one thing, the time constraints differ.

Yes I see all these differences. I guess in my limited experience with
what we're calling AYCE restaurants they are always buffet, I've never
had a cocktail or wine, and the service is quite limited indeed. They
are as likely to bus plates as not, and there is likely one or two
people performing the task for everyone in the joint. I usually see
them once, at the beginning of the meal when they bring a drink.

All these factors lead me to tip two bucks.

I can certainly envision a circumstance where, even at a hot-dog stand,
the service and my engagement with the service is so outstanding that
I'd feel compelled to tip more, even more that 20% certainly.

I had a single cocktail at a bar and was so awed by a very young
bartendress's agility in handling a tag-team of real slobs, keeping
everybody's drink straight and even keeping a running series of
personal conversations among two other groups of people. She got a $20
bill which was about 300% the tab on a 20 minute experience.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.