Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Tipping at AYCE buffets?

The Chinese buffets have tip jars at the sushi and the noodle
counters. Many tip a buck for a bowl of soup noodles or a plate of
custom ordered sushi. If I go back for seconds, is it expected of me
to fork over another buck? I only tip the wait staff $2 for the whole
meal.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

James wrote on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:37:26 -0700 (PDT):

> The Chinese buffets have tip jars at the sushi and the noodle
> counters. Many tip a buck for a bowl of soup noodles or a
> plate of custom ordered sushi. If I go back for seconds, is
> it expected of me to fork over another buck? I only tip the
> wait staff $2 for the whole meal.

The only AYCE Chinese buffet that I go to once in a while wants you to
pay before being seated. If the waiter has brought your drink promptly,
refilled it on request and removed used utensils, I think a tip of about
10% is appropriate (rounded up to the next dollar.)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-09-15 11:04:36 -0700, "James Silverton"
> said:

> James wrote on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:37:26 -0700 (PDT):
>
>> The Chinese buffets have tip jars at the sushi and the noodle
>> counters. Many tip a buck for a bowl of soup noodles or a
>> plate of custom ordered sushi. If I go back for seconds, is
>> it expected of me to fork over another buck? I only tip the
>> wait staff $2 for the whole meal.

> The only AYCE Chinese buffet that I go to once in a while wants you to
> pay before being seated. If the waiter has brought your drink promptly,
> refilled it on request and removed used utensils, I think a tip of
> about 10% is appropriate (rounded up to the next dollar.)

In all these kinds of situations, including set-price valet parking, I
give two bucks. I don't care whether I spent 50 bucks at a buffet or
20 dollars on parking, they get two bucks.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Gerry" > wrote in message
> In all these kinds of situations, including set-price valet parking, I
> give two bucks. I don't care whether I spent 50 bucks at a buffet or 20
> dollars on parking, they get two bucks.
> --
> Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

My practice is to tip a dollar per person regardless of price. If I'm alone,
they get a buck, etc..

--
KLC Lewis

WISCONSIN
Where It's So Cool Outside, Nobody Stays Indoors Napping
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

Posted to alt.food.sushi

KLC Lewis wrote:
> "Gerry" > wrote in message
>
>>In all these kinds of situations, including set-price valet parking, I
>>give two bucks. I don't care whether I spent 50 bucks at a buffet or 20
>>dollars on parking, they get two bucks.
>>--
>>Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.
>>

> My practice is to tip a dollar per person regardless of price. If I'm alone,
> they get a buck, etc..

I do 10% of bill before tax.

--
Dan

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-09-15 15:56:36 -0700, "KLC Lewis" > said:

>> In all these kinds of situations, including set-price valet parking, I
>> give two bucks. I don't care whether I spent 50 bucks at a buffet or 20
>> dollars on parking, they get two bucks.

> My practice is to tip a dollar per person regardless of price. If I'm alone,
> they get a buck, etc..

That was my approach until about 1999. Maybe it should be wired to the
cost of a gallon of gas when it's that kind of thing: Buffet service,
pre-paid valet, wash-room attendants, bellboys when you only have one
bag, etc.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

I asked the waitress at Todai how much I'm supposed to tip. She said
10%.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

robert ratskywatsky > wrote:
> I asked the waitress at Todai how much I'm supposed to tip. She said
> 10%.

One of my daughters worked in different capacities at several Todias for
several years. She said couples tipped the best, big tables worst, singles
in between.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-09-16 22:05:14 -0700, Nick Cramer > said:

> robert ratskywatsky > wrote:
>> I asked the waitress at Todai how much I'm supposed to tip. She said
>> 10%.

> One of my daughters worked in different capacities at several Todias for
> several years. She said couples tipped the best, big tables worst, singles
> in between.

Isn't that the general rule for all restaurants?
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past Gerry posted this:
> On 2009-09-16 22:05:14 -0700, Nick Cramer > said:
>
>> robert ratskywatsky > wrote:
>>> I asked the waitress at Todai how much I'm supposed to tip. She said
>>> 10%.

>> One of my daughters worked in different capacities at several Todias for
>> several years. She said couples tipped the best, big tables worst,
>> singles
>> in between.

> Isn't that the general rule for all restaurants?

My general rule for all restaurants is 20% period. Less if service sucks,
but wait persons do not make minimum wage.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Wilson wrote:
> sometime in the recent past Gerry posted this:
>
>> On 2009-09-16 22:05:14 -0700, Nick Cramer >
>> said:

>>> One of my daughters worked in different capacities at several Todias for
>>> several years. She said couples tipped the best, big tables worst,
>>> singles
>>> in between.

>> Isn't that the general rule for all restaurants?

> My general rule for all restaurants is 20% period. Less if service
> sucks, but wait persons do not make minimum wage.

I still do 15% for average service, 20% for good service, and 10% for buffet
or Dim Sum.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Wilson > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> My general rule for all restaurants is 20% period. Less if service sucks,
> but wait persons do not make minimum wage.

Some places work for tips. Some places subtract tips from wages, too.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.sushi

In article <2009091518435416807-somewhere@sunnycalif>,
Gerry > wrote:
>On 2009-09-15 15:56:36 -0700, "KLC Lewis" > said:
>
>>> In all these kinds of situations, including set-price valet parking, I
>>> give two bucks. I don't care whether I spent 50 bucks at a buffet or 20
>>> dollars on parking, they get two bucks.

>> My practice is to tip a dollar per person regardless of price. If I'm alone,
>> they get a buck, etc..

>That was my approach until about 1999. Maybe it should be wired to the
>cost of a gallon of gas when it's that kind of thing: Buffet service,
>pre-paid valet, wash-room attendants, bellboys when you only have one
>bag, etc.

I estimate the amount of work they do (drinks, clearing dishes, etc.)
compared to full service, and tip a slightly larger fraction than that
of my normal tip (for a given quality of service).

Seth
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-09-17 19:04:59 -0700, (Seth) said:

>> That was my approach until about 1999. Maybe it should be wired to the
>> cost of a gallon of gas when it's that kind of thing: Buffet service,
>> pre-paid valet, wash-room attendants, bellboys when you only have one
>> bag, etc.

> I estimate the amount of work they do (drinks, clearing dishes, etc.)
> compared to full service, and tip a slightly larger fraction than that
> of my normal tip (for a given quality of service).

Tht sounds like you're saying that with fill-service vs. AYCE, the
latter gets tipped higher?

In a full-service restaurant where I we have cocktails or wine, order
appetizers and entres and all the rest, my interaction with wait-help
is a conspicuous part of the event. In favorite restaurants we have
favorite waiters. I always tip a minimum of 20% for any such service
done well, not infrequently tipping more. And done poorly---well it is
a genuine rarity that I have poor service frankly. I would likely drop
to 12-15% if it was half-assed. Whatever would anger me enough to drop
to 10% in such a place would have to be name-calling or picking their
nose while taking my order. I think such activity would have me
stiffing them altogether, since I wouldn't be coming back.

Anyway some ne bringing me a drink and bussing tables, that's not in
the same league. They get two bucks, same as the pizza guy.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

In article <2009091722391416807-somewhere@sunnycalif>,
Gerry > wrote:
>On 2009-09-17 19:04:59 -0700, (Seth) said:
>
>>> That was my approach until about 1999. Maybe it should be wired to the
>>> cost of a gallon of gas when it's that kind of thing: Buffet service,
>>> pre-paid valet, wash-room attendants, bellboys when you only have one
>>> bag, etc.

>> I estimate the amount of work they do (drinks, clearing dishes, etc.)
>> compared to full service, and tip a slightly larger fraction than that
>> of my normal tip (for a given quality of service).

>Tht sounds like you're saying that with fill-service vs. AYCE, the
>latter gets tipped higher?

No; with a buffet (AYCE is not necessarily a buffet) I might estimate
that the server does 40% of the work that a full-service server would
do, so I might tip about 50% of what I would tip a full-service server
if all else (especially the quality of service) were the same.

With a non-buffet AYCE, I might very well tip higher: I might order a
lot more times than at a typical full-service meal.

>In a full-service restaurant where I we have cocktails or wine, order
>appetizers and entres and all the rest, my interaction with wait-help
>is a conspicuous part of the event.

>Anyway some ne bringing me a drink and bussing tables, that's not in
>the same league. They get two bucks, same as the pizza guy.

In most buffets, if you want cocktails or wine, they're ordered and
served exactly as in full-service restaurants.

Bussing tables between customers is a lot different from clearing
buffet plates; for one thing, the time constraints differ.

Seth

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-09-21 07:47:53 -0700, (Seth) said:

>> That sounds like you're saying that with full-service vs. AYCE, the
>> latter gets tipped higher?

> No; with a buffet (AYCE is not necessarily a buffet) I might estimate
> that the server does 40% of the work that a full-service server would
> do, so I might tip about 50% of what I would tip a full-service server
> if all else (especially the quality of service) were the same.
>
> With a non-buffet AYCE, I might very well tip higher: I might order a
> lot more times than at a typical full-service meal.

I agree that AYCE which is not buffet might have them coming and going
as often as typical full-service meal, because that IS a typical meal.
At least for me, I eat as much as I want, and need service to attend to
all that, regardless of the price-per-unit.

I guess I see a difference between All You Can Eat and All You Want to
Eat. No matter what they call them, I only eat as much as I want, not
as much as my stomach can accept.

>> In a full-service restaurant where I we have cocktails or wine, order
>> appetizers and entres and all the rest, my interaction with wait-help
>> is a conspicuous part of the event.

>> Anyway someone bringing me a drink and bussing tables, that's not in
>> the same league. They get two bucks, same as the pizza guy.

> In most buffets, if you want cocktails or wine, they're ordered and
> served exactly as in full-service restaurants.
>
> Bussing tables between customers is a lot different from clearing
> buffet plates; for one thing, the time constraints differ.

Yes I see all these differences. I guess in my limited experience with
what we're calling AYCE restaurants they are always buffet, I've never
had a cocktail or wine, and the service is quite limited indeed. They
are as likely to bus plates as not, and there is likely one or two
people performing the task for everyone in the joint. I usually see
them once, at the beginning of the meal when they bring a drink.

All these factors lead me to tip two bucks.

I can certainly envision a circumstance where, even at a hot-dog stand,
the service and my engagement with the service is so outstanding that
I'd feel compelled to tip more, even more that 20% certainly.

I had a single cocktail at a bar and was so awed by a very young
bartendress's agility in handling a tag-team of real slobs, keeping
everybody's drink straight and even keeping a running series of
personal conversations among two other groups of people. She got a $20
bill which was about 300% the tab on a 20 minute experience.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Last time I asked the waitress at the Todai buffet in WA and she told
me 10% is the right tip. Yesterday I asked the man at the front desk
in the Todai in CA and he told me 10-15% is the right tip. So that
means they're happy with 10%.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-09-25 04:24:04 -0700, robert ratskywatsky
> said:

> Last time I asked the waitress at the Todai buffet in WA and she told
> me 10% is the right tip. Yesterday I asked the man at the front desk
> in the Todai in CA and he told me 10-15% is the right tip. So that
> means they're happy with 10%.

2 is a hell of a sample base. Keep going with that poll!
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Tipping. I was listening to an old 1940's radio show and they
mentioned that the standard tip then was 10%. I hate the whole
concept of tipping. It's like the optional dispensing of charity by a
benevolent, or not benevolent as the case may be, master to the
servants. The only time I ever worked for tips was when i drove a
taxicab on the night shift in NYC while attending college. I hated
the whole tipping business. I was working hard. Why did I have to
depend upon charity? Tipping is not practiced in many countries, like
Japan for instance.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-10-10 22:38:51 -0700, robert ratskywatsky
> said:

> Tipping. I was listening to an old 1940's radio show and they
> mentioned that the standard tip then was 10%. I hate the whole
> concept of tipping. It's like the optional dispensing of charity by a
> benevolent, or not benevolent as the case may be, master to the
> servants. The only time I ever worked for tips was when i drove a
> taxicab on the night shift in NYC while attending college. I hated
> the whole tipping business. I was working hard. Why did I have to
> depend upon charity? Tipping is not practiced in many countries, like
> Japan for instance.

What are some of the many other countries?
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

robert ratskywatsky wrote:

> I was listening to an old 1940's radio show and they mentioned that
> the standard tip then was 10%. I hate the whole concept of tipping.
> It's like the optional dispensing of charity by a benevolent, or not
> benevolent as the case may be, master to the servants. The only time
> I ever worked for tips was when i drove a taxicab on the night shift
> in NYC while attending college. I hated the whole tipping business.
> I was working hard. Why did i have to depend upon charity? Tipping is
> not practiced in many countries, like Japan for instance.

I don't understand why people always view this as master and servant.
Someone has to bring the food to us and take away the dirty plates, else
we're eating at a cafeteria. And when I go out to eat, I want good food
not crap. My general rule is 15% for average service, less for bad service
and more for better service. I do 10% at buffet and Dim Sum.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan wrote on Sun, 11 Oct 2009 12:12:05 -0400:

>> I was listening to an old 1940's radio show and they
>> mentioned that the standard tip then was 10%. I hate the
>> whole concept of tipping. It's like the optional dispensing
>> of charity by a benevolent, or not benevolent as the case may
>> be, master to the servants. The only time I ever worked for tips was
>> when i drove a taxicab on the night shift in NYC
>> while attending college. I hated the whole tipping business.
>> I was working hard. Why did i have to depend upon charity? Tipping is
>> not practiced in many countries, like Japan for
>> instance.

> I don't understand why people always view this as master and
> servant. Someone has to bring the food to us and take away the
> dirty plates, else we're eating at a cafeteria. And when I go
> out to eat, I want good food not crap. My general rule is 15%
> for average service, less for bad service and more for better service.
> I do 10% at buffet and Dim Sum.

That's more or less my practice, Dan. However, times have changed; my
mother in England never tipped more than 10% to the end of her days and
she tended to reduce the percentage on large checks, I never really
understood why.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past Dan Logcher posted this:
> robert ratskywatsky wrote:
>
>> I was listening to an old 1940's radio show and they mentioned that
>> the standard tip then was 10%. I hate the whole concept of tipping.
>> It's like the optional dispensing of charity by a benevolent, or not
>> benevolent as the case may be, master to the servants. The only time
>> I ever worked for tips was when i drove a taxicab on the night shift
>> in NYC while attending college. I hated the whole tipping business.
>> I was working hard. Why did i have to depend upon charity? Tipping is
>> not practiced in many countries, like Japan for instance.

> I don't understand why people always view this as master and servant.
> Someone has to bring the food to us and take away the dirty plates, else
> we're eating at a cafeteria. And when I go out to eat, I want good food
> not crap. My general rule is 15% for average service, less for bad service
> and more for better service. I do 10% at buffet and Dim Sum.

And more, restaurants in the US do not pay minimum wage as a rule. Here in
Maine, we just changed the minimum wage to $7.50/hr. and it says that it
doesn't have a student or training wage. But,
> Tipped employees must be paid at least one-half minimum wage. If this rate plus tips for the week does not average the minimum wage, the employer must pay the difference.

So waitpersons are paid a minimum of $3.75 and either get the balance from
patrons or the owner to get the full $7.50. We are rather progressive with
minimum wage here in Maine, but I can't say much for the rest of the Union.

To Insure Prompt Service - myth or not, but I don't want anybody messing
with my food because I'm unappreciative of their efforts, and I show my
appreciation, as I've said before, with 20% rounded up.

Like the song says, '(they) work hard for their money.'

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Wilson wrote on Sun, 11 Oct 2009 13:30:34 -0400:

> sometime in the recent past Dan Logcher posted this:
>> robert ratskywatsky wrote:
>>
>>> I was listening to an old 1940's radio show and they
>>> mentioned that the standard tip then was 10%. I hate the
>>> whole concept of tipping. It's like the optional dispensing of
>>> charity by a benevolent, or not benevolent as the case
>>> may be, master to the servants. The only time I ever worked
>>> for tips was when i drove a taxicab on the night shift in
>>> NYC while attending college. I hated the whole tipping
>>> business. I was working hard. Why did i have to depend upon charity?
>>> Tipping is not practiced in many countries, like
>>> Japan for instance.

>> I don't understand why people always view this as master and servant.
>> Someone has to bring the food to us and take away
>> the dirty plates, else we're eating at a cafeteria. And when
>> I go out to eat, I want good food not crap. My general rule is 15%
>> for average service, less for bad service and more for
>> better service. I do 10% at buffet and Dim Sum.
>>

> And more, restaurants in the US do not pay minimum wage as a
> rule. Here in Maine, we just changed the minimum wage to
> $7.50/hr. and it says that it doesn't have a student or
> training wage. But,
>> Tipped employees must be paid at least one-half minimum wage.
>> If this rate plus tips for the week does not average the
>> minimum wage, the employer must pay the difference.

Interesting! I know there are special minimum wages for waiters in most
US states but I believe this is not the case in Europe where the regular
(and high) minimum wage must be paid.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> To Insure Prompt Service - myth or not, but I don't want anybody messing
> with my food because I'm unappreciative of their efforts, and I show my
> appreciation, as I've said before, with 20% rounded up.

So now it's up to 20% from 10% in the 1940's. And then the next guy
might say he'll tip 25% to make sure they don't spit in HIS food...Tip
jars by the noodles, on the sushi bar. How crass and mercenary. When
I take over I will outlaw tipping. Maybe I'll let them add a service
charge instead.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Oct 11, 10:52*am, robert ratskywatsky >
wrote:
*Tipping is not practiced in many countries, like Japan for instance.

Not exactly true. I was stationed with the USMC in both Japan &
Okinawa in 1980-81. The Japanese were more than willing to expect
tips from Americans or other foreign tourists if it was customary from
where they came from. I can remember going into the Sanno hotel in
Tokyo for dinner one night and seeing a sign by the door saying that a
15% tip was expected. In the bigger cities and towns, tipping was
common only in the larger hotels. Out in the countryside, the story
was different.

In Okinawa, the locals had a sweet setup. The American presence was
big, and local economies depended heavily on having the servicepeople
patronizing their businesses. Besides tipping, many places would not
let Americans pay in yen, only in dollars because of the exchange
rate. At the time, we were getting something like 1300Y per dollar,
and many folks would try to work that hoping to save some money. The
Okinawans however, had a different idea. They would make the Americans
pay in dollars or adjust their yen prices... taking away the savings,
and putting it into their pockets. About the only place that this
didn't happen was at the market. You paid the going price just like
anyone else. I worked in the chow hall as a facility manager, and I
brought some insanely fresh stuff to cook up in there.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

And now it's come to this

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...052.html?yhp=1
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"robert ratskywatsky" > wrote in message
> And now it's come to this
>
> http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...052.html?yhp=1

Absolutely outrageous. A gratuity is exactly that -- a gift, not a
requirement.

--
KLC Lewis

WISCONSIN
Where It's So Cool Outside, Nobody Stays Indoors Napping
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

Posted to alt.food.sushi

KLC Lewis wrote:
> "robert ratskywatsky" > wrote in message
>
>>And now it's come to this
>>
>>http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...052.html?yhp=1

> Absolutely outrageous. A gratuity is exactly that -- a gift, not a
> requirement.

I wonder if they were told before dining that the gratuity was included.
That's more of a surcharge and may have stopped me from dining there..

--
Dan

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan Logcher > wrote:
> KLC Lewis wrote:
> > "robert ratskywatsky" > wrote in message

> >>And now it's come to this
> >>
> >>http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...ison--70426052
> >>.html?yhp=1

> > Absolutely outrageous. A gratuity is exactly that -- a gift, not a
> > requirement.

> I wonder if they were told before dining that the gratuity was included.
> That's more of a surcharge and may have stopped me from dining there..

A lot of restaurants add the tip to the bill for groups over some size.
From what I've seen, it's so stated in the menu or elsewhere.

My daughter waitressed at Todai, where gratuities were not included in the
bill. She said large groups were the worst tippers, so maybe that has
something to do with it.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

AYCE in Boston or South of Boston AND AYCE PRICE CapeCodBob Sushi 3 16-10-2008 01:58 PM
YUM'S in Waldorf, MD. 301 638 7328 Another AYCE James Sushi 14 24-02-2007 09:25 PM
AYCE Sushi in Baltimore rboehme Sushi 0 15-06-2006 03:06 PM
Tipping at buffets? papageno Restaurants 14 04-04-2005 12:22 AM
Tipping - was Tipping on Wine Dick R. Wine 21 26-08-2004 03:05 AM