Posted to alt.food.sushi
Musashi[_3_] Musashi[_3_] is offline

Default soy & ponzu

On Aug 24, 11:08*am, Lori Lee > wrote:
> Once and for all, do I need to store opened bottles of low sodium soy
> & ponzu in the refrigerator? *Or is table top just fine?
> Thanks

A few decades ago it was common to see a small bottle of shoyu (soy
sauce)
on the kitchen tabletop of most Japanese homes.While you will still
see it to some extent,
especially out in the country, the practice of keeping it in the
refrigerator has become more
the norm. While soy sauce can be stored for a long time at room
temperature it's not the
same once opened. Ponzu was always kept in the refrigerator since it's
not used as
frequently as Shoyu. BTW, an opened Shoyu bottle in the summer WILL
attract fruit flies.

Musashi