Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default soy & ponzu

Once and for all, do I need to store opened bottles of low sodium soy
& ponzu in the refrigerator? Or is table top just fine?
Thanks
Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Lori Lee wrote:
> Once and for all, do I need to store opened bottles of low sodium soy
> & ponzu in the refrigerator? Or is table top just fine?

You do not need to store in the fridge, but it will extend the shelf life.
I've found large bottles of soy will last longer in the fridge. If the bottle
is small or you use it quickly enough, why bother.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past Dan Logcher posted this:
> Lori Lee wrote:
>> Once and for all, do I need to store opened bottles of low sodium soy
>> & ponzu in the refrigerator? Or is table top just fine?

> You do not need to store in the fridge, but it will extend the shelf life.
> I've found large bottles of soy will last longer in the fridge. If the
> bottle
> is small or you use it quickly enough, why bother.

Dan, you say last longer. Just curious because I've never noticed that it
changed no matter how long it sat around unless, of course, it was left open
and evaporated. But that would just make it saltier and less likely to spoil.

Oops, reread and I notice the OP was talking about low sodium which might
have a shorter shelf life. However, just looking at my bottle of Marukan
Ponzu (sudachi citrus marinade,) it does say 'Refrigerate after opening for
quality.'

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Wilson wrote:
> sometime in the recent past Dan Logcher posted this:
>
>> Lori Lee wrote:
>>
>>> Once and for all, do I need to store opened bottles of low sodium soy
>>> & ponzu in the refrigerator? Or is table top just fine?

>> You do not need to store in the fridge, but it will extend the shelf
>> life.
>> I've found large bottles of soy will last longer in the fridge. If
>> the bottle
>> is small or you use it quickly enough, why bother.
>>

> Dan, you say last longer. Just curious because I've never noticed that
> it changed no matter how long it sat around unless, of course, it was
> left open and evaporated. But that would just make it saltier and less
> likely to spoil.

I buy large bottles of lite soy and have noticed that over the length 4 months,
the flavor changes. It does seem to darken some and seems more bitter.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Aug 24, 11:08*am, Lori Lee > wrote:
> Once and for all, do I need to store opened bottles of low sodium soy
> & ponzu in the refrigerator? *Or is table top just fine?
> Thanks

A few decades ago it was common to see a small bottle of shoyu (soy
sauce)
on the kitchen tabletop of most Japanese homes.While you will still
see it to some extent,
especially out in the country, the practice of keeping it in the
refrigerator has become more
the norm. While soy sauce can be stored for a long time at room
temperature it's not the
same once opened. Ponzu was always kept in the refrigerator since it's
not used as
frequently as Shoyu. BTW, an opened Shoyu bottle in the summer WILL
attract fruit flies.

Musashi

PIC's: Creamy garlic prawns, tuna steak and Ponzu sauce I'm back. General Cooking 0 15-04-2011 11:59 PM
Chili ponzu sauce Ricavito Diabetic 0 08-02-2011 06:46 PM
Kikkoman Ponzu Sauce Dan Logcher Sushi 7 01-02-2005 02:34 AM
Chili used with ponzu? Nick Sushi 17 07-06-2004 08:55 AM