Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Craig Watts[_1_] Craig Watts[_1_] is offline

Default Bobby Flay and barbeque

Nonny wrote:
> I was channel surfing the other day when Flay was having a throwdown
> with a fellow from Raleigh NC. I never saw how it ended, but the NC guy
> sure sounded like he knew his business. We lived there for years, and
> since I'd not heard of him or his place, it must have opened after we
> departed.

<snip>

Hi Nonney.

I do remember that Bobby Flay show and it was a big to do
here in Raleigh. They suckered Ed Mitchel to think he was on
a cooking show to teach his BBQ skills. Then in walks Bobby
Flay and the challenge was on!

Ed's place has been open for just over a year. It is in
downtown Raleigh. He is trying to bring the BBQ experience
from a red checker plastic table cloth to a white linen
cloth group of customers.

http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/

We have eaten there once and the flavors were spot on. The
usual customer may not notice but when you walk in the front
door you see the kitchen- filled with hard wood kettles. In
doors! There ain't none of that propane yellow seeping crap
coming out of any of the cookers.

The menu was pricey compared to other BBQ joints but this
was the real deal.

As far as Eastern BBQ vs Lexington. A simple though line is
eastern is vinegar based whilst Lexington has more tomato
based. You positioned the question so that it is not easy to
answer. " Do they pour vinegar right on the ribs? (mop). It
is as diverse as "Do you cook your ribs wet or dry?" Most of
the eastern whole pig cook outs do have a mix of cayenne and
vinegar splashed over the hog, but that is not how they
would cook ribs.

The Lexington Q is slightly different but good also. Again,
it gets back to wet or dry. A lot of the Lexington cooks use
BP on a dry base and finish with a red (tomato) table sauce.
Again, hold ears wide open, look , listen and choose what
you like.

I know that you have not been gone from NC for long and I
believe your memory serves you correct.

AND- Ed Mitchel won the challenge over Bobby Flay!

craigster in Raleigh