Posted to rec.food.cooking
maxine maxine is offline

Default Drinks before dinner and wine with dinner...

On Sep 5, 12:29*am, (Victor Sack) wrote:
> maxine in ri > wrote:
>
> > I have a recipe that calls for a 3-4 lb brisket, and a 750 ml bottle
> > of wine. *It's braised, obviously, *but isn't that an awful lot of
> > liquid for braising?Even after the reduction of that and the other 2-3
> > cups of liquid by half?

> > I don't often cook hunks of meat, other than the occasional London
> > Broil, so I turn to you, the experts, for advice on whether to even
> > attempt this recipe or no.

> I do not deem myself an expert, but I'd say that this is a matter of a
> given recipe and individual preference. *So, there is no one answer to
> this question. *Also, if the brisket is going to be braised in a piece,
> it will probably take more time than any of the recipes below. *In
> theory, the recipe appears plausible in this respect, I'd say.
>
> For example:
>
> Coq au vin
> - Julia Child: 3 cups of wine (plus some Cognac); 2 1/2 to 3 lbs chicken
> (and some bacon)
> - Bocuse: just 2 cups of wine (and some Cognac); 4 lbs chicken (and some
> bacon)
> - M.F.K. Fisher: 2 cups wine (and some Cognac); 2 1/2 to 3 lbs chicken
> (and 1/2 lb salt pork)
>
> Boeuf à la bourguignonne
> - Julia Child: 3 cups of wine (and some Cognac), 3 lbs beef
> - Bocuse: just 0.8 cup of wine (and some Cognac), 3.3 pounds beef (and
> one calf's foot and some bacon)
> - M.F.K. Fisher: 2 cups wine; 3 lbs beef
>
> Victor * * *

Hmmm, those are smaller quantities of liquid per chunks of meat, but
OTOH, I'm ending up using a largish pan (from stovetop to oven, it's
the only one I've got that fits), so I may have to take Sheldon's
advice and go with a second bottle just to be sure I have enough!

Thanks,
maxine in ri