Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Drinks before dinner and wine with dinner...

maxine in ri > wrote:

> I have a recipe that calls for a 3-4 lb brisket, and a 750 ml bottle
> of wine. It's braised, obviously, but isn't that an awful lot of
> liquid for braising?Even after the reduction of that and the other 2-3
> cups of liquid by half?
>
> I don't often cook hunks of meat, other than the occasional London
> Broil, so I turn to you, the experts, for advice on whether to even
> attempt this recipe or no.

Go for it... that's only like three glasses of wine... if when the dish is
cooked there's too much liquid you can always remove the meat and solids
(skim the fat) and reduce. It's actually better (safer too) to begin
braising with too much liquid than not enough. I'd use two bottles of wine,
one for me... hey, braising takes a long time.