Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Drinks before dinner and wine with dinner...

maxine wrote:

> I have a recipe that calls for a 3-4 lb brisket, and a 750 ml bottle
> of wine. It's braised, obviously, but isn't that an awful lot of
> liquid for braising? Even after the reduction of that and the other 2-3
> cups of liquid by half?

When you're braising, the liquid is expected to come about halfway up the
meat. (There's no hard-and-fast rule on the minimum or maximum, but halfway
is about right.) If the meat is more than three-quarters submerged, then
it's probably too much liquid, otherwise it should be fine.

Bob