Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
little man upon the stair little man upon the stair is offline

Default I need a little help

On Aug 26, 9:37*am, "Nunya Bidnits" <NunyaBidn...@eternal-
september.invalid> wrote:

> Since you brought up chorizo, I've got a question. The chorizo in stores
> around here comes in a chub, Supremo and Cacique are two common brands. They
> are very difficult to work with, rendering a large percentage of it's weight
> in grease and the meat is tough and fibrous. I can get fresh chorizo at a
> couple local markets but it doesn't have as much flavor. How do you work
> with this stuff in the chub to make it more palatable?

I don't buy the fresh stuff.

I can buy the El Mexicano chorizo in a 16-oz tube at the 99 Cents Only
store and just squeeze a few ounces onto a paper plate and microwave
it for two minutes and the excess grease runs out and I throw the
paper plate away.

I could buy fresh chorizo on a styrofoam tray and spend several
minutes frying it and draining off half the weight in grease and then
I have a greasy skillet to wash, and that takes another five minutes
to wash and dry.

So, like the guy in the Beatles song, "Day Tripper", I've got a good
reason for takin' the easy way out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorizo#North_America

"Mexican chorizo comes in two varieties, fresh and dried, the fresh
being much more common. Chorizo can be made from a variety of meat
cuts, including lips, lymph nodes, and salivary glands. The meat is
finely ground and stuffed in plastic tubes to resemble sausage links,
though traditionally natural casings were used. Before consumption,
the tubes are usually cut open and the nearly paste-like mixture is
fried in a pan and mashed with a fork until it resembles finely minced
ground beef."