Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Crabapples

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> or http://tinyurl.com/l2he9k
>>>
>>> Is that it? Red peel, creamy white flesh.

>> That might be it! The fruit were in big clusters; that's how I was able
>> to pick 10 pounds of 'em in just a few minutes. I always assumed Dolgo
>> had red flesh because their juice was red.

> Nope. The gorgeous color comes from the peel.
>
> I know where there's a tree but I'm too pooped to go get them. Then I'd
> have to cook them if I did.

I have 8 pounds of 'em sliced and in the Juicer steaming right now.
I've learned a couple of things already:

1) Leaving apples in a *plastic* bag in the car for a couple of days
is a bad idea. (if any of them have even a trace of brown rot, it
goes crazy in that environment) Luckily I caught it just in time.

2) You can look *too* closely for insects when you're trimming fruit
to make juice. :-P

Bob