Posted to alt.food.barbecue
tom tom is offline

Default BBQ without Charcoal or Lava Rocks?

"Mikie" > wrote in message
> Just started in BBQ grilling.
>
> Bought standard 2 burner, 26,500 BTU THERMOS BRAND, BBQ grill
> from Target Stores, $99., made by Charbroil.
>
> Took forever to put it together, (newbie).
>
> Then I find that Lava Rock is not allowed or it voids the warranty.
> Did I just pay 100 bucks for a propane camp stove? I wanted a
> standard BBQ grill!!!!! What is this nonsense...no Lava Rocks??.
>
> Don't want to take it all apart and repackage it and return it!
> Anybody help me on how I can retro fit this for use with Lava Rock
> Briquettes? Heck with the warranty...I have no choice, I guess. OR,
> convince me that I don't need the Lava Rocks ??? Will I get that nice
> smokey BBQ taste?

I retrofitted a gas grill a few years ago to use rocks. Buy or fashion a
grate to fit or sit on your burner covers\tents that you can put rocks on. I
had an old grate that I cut to size with bolt cutters that wedged into the V
shaped grill housing. Had to leave the "tents" in place to keep the burners
from clogging from residue falling on them. BTW..I now use a Weber Genesis
without rocks that suits me fine.