Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default What to make during a heatwave?

Giusi wrote:

> Tomato salad made by marinating tomato chunks with minced garlic, salt and
> good olive oil with some basil torn in before eating. Don't ever
> refrigerate it. Make just enough for a day.

Earlier tonight I commented to Lin that I was getting a bit tired of that
particular basil-tomato-garlic combination. But it can be completely
transformed by adding some Thai flavors, e.g., fish sauce instead of salt, a
minced hot chile, lime juice, and chopped cilantro. It's a nice salad, and
also a great relish for grilled chicken, pork, or fish.

You can also take that basil-tomato-garlic combination and add Kalamata
olives, feta cheese, and parsley to change it significantly. That would be a
nice side salad with grilled lamb chops.

If you want to get more adventurous, try combining tomatoes, basil, mint,
cilantro, watermelon, and rice vinegar, to make a side salad for grilled
scallops (wrapped in bacon, if you like!)

Bob