Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to make during a heatwave?

What to make during a heatwave?

Air conditioners are just about at the breaking point.

This morning I made a big batch of tuna salad for sandwiches. It's currently
chilling in the fridge. I mixed it up with tartar sauce. First time. Will add
avocado and toast the bread for crunch.

Microwave does a decent job of not generating heat into the kitchen like the
oven does, but who wants hot food during a heatwave?

You?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
ffu ffu is offline

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 07:02:56 -0500, Andy > wrote:

-->What to make during a heatwave?
-->
-->Air conditioners are just about at the breaking point.
-->
-->This morning I made a big batch of tuna salad for sandwiches. It's currently
-->chilling in the fridge. I mixed it up with tartar sauce. First time. Will add
-->avocado and toast the bread for crunch.
-->
-->Microwave does a decent job of not generating heat into the kitchen like the
-->oven does, but who wants hot food during a heatwave?
-->
-->You?
-->
-->Andy

Andy, send it this way. We've had rain for the last five weeks, with a three
day break of nice weather. I wonder if that's why I had such an off day here
yesterday, no sun and shitty weather is playing havoc with people up here,
normally we have sun about 300 days a year. I'm going to have to apologize to
everyone, funny how weather can affect you. btw.. it's raining again ;(
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" ha scritto nel messaggio

> What to make during a heatwave?

Daytime is running from 98 to 104 here lately, so we get up early, cook and
eat at room temp of fridge temp later on. You are usually up and posting at
7 or 8 my time and it must be cool there at 1 or 2. Get offline and cook!

A rotisseried chicken is good for several meals cold from the fridge,
including pesto chicken salad. A white bean salad made with lemon juice,
onion and good olive oil will keep in the fridge for up to a week. Allow to
warm a bit before eating. Tomato salad made by marinating tomato chunks
with minced garlic, salt and good olive oil with some basil torn in before
eating. Don't ever refrigerate it. Make just enough for a day. You can
make a great sandwich with a crusty roll, that salad and bufala mozzarella.
The same mozzarella with sliced tomatoes, basil and good oil looks a bit
more refined on the plate. Make up a batch of ratatouille which is very
good cold. If you can buy good pizza dough uncooked, fry onions the night
before until very caramelized, then spread that dough out, cover with those
onions, add some anchovy and stick in a very hot oven for a few minutes and
voila! ****aladiere.
With the great variety of cold cuts and cheeses available, fresh salads with
some of those and lemon vinaigrette sounds terrific with something tasty in
the bread line.
What's the problem?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ffu said...

> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 07:02:56 -0500, Andy > wrote:
>
> -->What to make during a heatwave?
> -->
> -->Air conditioners are just about at the breaking point.
> -->
> -->This morning I made a big batch of tuna salad for sandwiches. It's
> currently -->chilling in the fridge. I mixed it up with tartar sauce.
> First time. Will add -->avocado and toast the bread for crunch.
> -->
> -->Microwave does a decent job of not generating heat into the kitchen
> like the -->oven does, but who wants hot food during a heatwave?
> -->
> -->You?
> -->
> -->Andy
>

> Andy, send it this way. We've had rain for the last five weeks, with a
> three day break of nice weather. I wonder if that's why I had such an
> off day here yesterday, no sun and shitty weather is playing havoc with
> people up here, normally we have sun about 300 days a year. I'm going
> to have to apologize to everyone, funny how weather can affect you.
> btw.. it's raining again ;(

stu,

LOL.

Do you get long sun like in Alaska?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 07:48:59 -0500, Andy > wrote:

-->ffu said...
-->
-->> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 07:02:56 -0500, Andy > wrote:
-->>
-->> -->What to make during a heatwave?
-->> -->
[...]

Usually in winter the sun comes up around 8 AM and sets about 4 PM. In the
summer suns rises about 5AM and sets around 10PM
Having no sun makes people crazy, I wish I was in the sunlight lamp biz here
right now as they are selling out at a staggering pace.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi,

> Daytime is running from 98 to 104 here lately, so we get up early, cook
> and eat at room temp of fridge temp later on. You are usually up and
> posting at 7 or 8 my time and it must be cool there at 1 or 2. Get
> offline and cook!

Geez... 98 to 104... I'll quit complaining!!!!!!

> A rotisseried chicken is good for several meals cold from the fridge,
> including pesto chicken salad. A white bean salad made with lemon
> juice, onion and good olive oil will keep in the fridge for up to a
> week. Allow to warm a bit before eating.

I love rotisseried chicken. The wholesale club has a rotisserie machine
with about 10 spits with about 5 birds on each one. I always stop and stare
with a stupid drooling grin on my face. At home I roast two birds at a time
and then shred them up for sandwiches or tacos

>Tomato salad made by
> marinating tomato chunks with minced garlic, salt and good olive oil
> with some basil torn in before eating. Don't ever refrigerate it. Make
> just enough for a day.

I never made tomato salad, other than ordinary dinner salad. Do you seed
your tomatoes?

I have good success with cucumber salad. Seeded and peeled, as a rule.

> You can make a great sandwich with a crusty
> roll, that salad and bufala mozzarella. The same mozzarella with sliced
> tomatoes, basil and good oil looks a bit more refined on the plate.

I' seem to have lousy success with crusty rolls for sandwiches. They make
the contents slip out more and more, bite by bite. Crusty is best (imho)
for sopping up every last drop of spaghetti sauce, etc!

> Make up a batch of ratatouille which is very good cold. If you can buy
> good pizza dough uncooked, fry onions the night before until very
> caramelized, then spread that dough out, cover with those onions, add
> some anchovy and stick in a very hot oven for a few minutes and voila!

I loved the movie. It sounds delicious. I've got a cookbook recipe for it.
Anchovy is out (a gout thing).

> ****aladiere. With the great variety of cold cuts and cheeses available,
> fresh salads with some of those and lemon vinaigrette sounds terrific
> with something tasty in the bread line.
> What's the problem?

<--- Problem? What problem? -->

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi,

>> Daytime is running from 98 to 104 here lately

> Geez... 98 to 104... I'll quit complaining!!!!!!

No air conditioning either, except the hospital and some shops. Law is 7
degrees C below the outside, so it's still pretty warm even with. That's 86
to 93 inside with A/C.

At home I roast two birds at a time > and then shred them up for sandwiches
or tacos

I never ALWAYS do anything. Too bad about the anchovies, but try it
without...who knows?

>>Tomato salad

> I never made tomato salad, other than ordinary dinner salad. Do you seed
> your tomatoes?

Absolutely not! The dressing made by the oil, salt and tomato juices would
be all wrong without the juices.

> I have good success with cucumber salad. Seeded and peeled, as a rule.

I had one for lunch with Asian sort of dressing... fresh from the garden so
the seeds were invisible.

>> You can make a great sandwich with a crusty
>> roll, that salad and bufala mozzarella. The same mozzarella with sliced
>> tomatoes, basil and good oil looks a bit more refined on the plate.

> I' seem to have lousy success with crusty rolls for sandwiches. They make
> > the contents slip out more and more, bite by bite.

That happens, yes, but the wider the roll the less it happens, also tear a
bit of the inside out to make room. At THE best bufala sandwich bar in the
world, the rolls are about 6" wide and a half (most people eat half) is
about 8" long. The rip most of the soft innards out, pile in the tomatoes,
add the fresh bufala in thick slices... lean over the plate to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ffu said...

> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 07:48:59 -0500, Andy > wrote:
>
> -->ffu said...
> -->
> -->> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 07:02:56 -0500, Andy > wrote:
> -->>
> -->> -->What to make during a heatwave?
> -->> -->
> -->> -->Air conditioners are just about at the breaking point.
> -->> -->
> -->> -->This morning I made a big batch of tuna salad for sandwiches.
> It's -->> currently -->chilling in the fridge. I mixed it up with tartar
> sauce. -->> First time. Will add -->avocado and toast the bread for
> crunch. -->> -->
> -->> -->Microwave does a decent job of not generating heat into the
> kitchen -->> like the -->oven does, but who wants hot food during a
> heatwave? -->> -->
> -->> -->You?
> -->> -->
> -->> -->Andy
> -->>
> -->>
> -->> Andy, send it this way. We've had rain for the last five weeks,
> with a -->> three day break of nice weather. I wonder if that's why I
> had such an -->> off day here yesterday, no sun and shitty weather is
> playing havoc with -->> people up here, normally we have sun about 300
> days a year. I'm going -->> to have to apologize to everyone, funny how
> weather can affect you. -->> btw.. it's raining again ;(
> -->
> -->
> -->stu,
> -->
> -->LOL.
> -->
> -->Do you get long sun like in Alaska?
> -->
> -->Andy
>
> Usually in winter the sun comes up around 8 AM and sets about 4 PM. In
> the summer suns rises about 5AM and sets around 10PM
> Having no sun makes people crazy, I wish I was in the sunlight lamp biz
> here right now as they are selling out at a staggering pace.

stu,

That's the same as here in PA.

My canopy of 150' white pines only allow maybe six hours of direct
sunlight.

There's an upside and a downside to that. Up: keeps the summer heat about
10°F. below the open flatlands temp. Down: Keeps it colder in winter by the
same amount. But I can layer on more clothes in winter than I can shed in
summer!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi said...

>> I' seem to have lousy success with crusty rolls for sandwiches. They
>> make
>> > the contents slip out more and more, bite by bite.

> That happens, yes, but the wider the roll the less it happens, also tear
> a bit of the inside out to make room. At THE best bufala sandwich bar
> in the world, the rolls are about 6" wide and a half (most people eat
> half) is about 8" long. The rip most of the soft innards out, pile in
> the tomatoes, add the fresh bufala in thick slices... lean over the
> plate to eat.

Giusi,

You made me google search "bufala." First guess, it sounded like it could
be buffalo meat, in Italian. It's a creamy mozzarella as one result
claimed. I'll look around for some. I'm sure I'll enjoy it!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi said...

They rip most of the soft innards out, pile in
>> the tomatoes, add the fresh bufala in thick slices... lean over the>>
>> plate to eat.

> You made me google search "bufala." First guess, it sounded like it could
> be buffalo meat, in Italian. It's a creamy mozzarella as one result >
> claimed. I'll look around for some. I'm sure I'll enjoy it!

Were you to make thick slices of a fresh buffalo, you'd really have to lean
over something to eat it. Mozzarella di bufala is simply one of the best
things in the world and so is best left simple to shout its own flavor. I
like it best at 6 hours old, but it is OK up to a week when sealed in brine.
Best to buy it and eat it instanter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi said...

> "Andy" ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Giusi said...

> They rip most of the soft innards out, pile in
>>> the tomatoes, add the fresh bufala in thick slices... lean over the>>
>>> plate to eat.

>> You made me google search "bufala." First guess, it sounded like it
>> could be buffalo meat, in Italian. It's a creamy mozzarella as one
>> result > claimed. I'll look around for some. I'm sure I'll enjoy it!

> Were you to make thick slices of a fresh buffalo, you'd really have to
> lean over something to eat it. Mozzarella di bufala is simply one of
> the best things in the world and so is best left simple to shout its own
> flavor. I like it best at 6 hours old, but it is OK up to a week when
> sealed in brine. Best to buy it and eat it instanter.

South Philly, PA has a famous Italian market, the oldest open air market in
the country. Goes on for blocks and blocks. I know just the cheese market
to find it! Been there once or twice. Cheeses strung up and hanging from
the ceiling all over the place! The aromas are intoxicating! Just about
takes your breath away!!! Six hour freshness in Philly? I doubt it.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 20, 8:02*am, Andy > wrote:
> What to make during a heatwave?
>
> Air conditioners are just about at the breaking point.
>
> This morning I made a big batch of tuna salad for sandwiches. It's currently
> chilling in the fridge. I mixed it up with tartar sauce. First time. Will add
> avocado and toast the bread for crunch.
>
> Microwave does a decent job of not generating heat into the kitchen like the
> oven does, but who wants hot food during a heatwave?
>
> You?
>
> Andy

My sympathies on the heat! No fun for cooking, I know.

Try entree salads - I'm sure you can come up with interesting
ingredient combinations. Of course there's always plain raw
veggies too.

Actually the crockpot is good for summer cooking, as it doen't heat up
the kitchen. The food it generally makes can be heavy though.

The grill also keeps the heat outside. May be torture to stand in
front of it however!

Good luck,
Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> What to make during a heatwave?
>
> but who wants hot food during a heatwave?
>
> Andy

I generally don't let the weather dictate my food choices. I *do* prefer
not to stand over a hot grill when it 98 degrees outside. I eat hot soup all
year round and bread and rolls hot out of the oven all year long. I eat ice
cream very rarely. What was your point?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message
>> What to make during a heatwave?
>>
>> but who wants hot food during a heatwave?
>>
>> Andy

> I generally don't let the weather dictate my food choices. I *do*
> prefer not to stand over a hot grill when it 98 degrees outside. I eat
> hot soup all year round and bread and rolls hot out of the oven all year
> long. I eat ice cream very rarely. What was your point?
>
> Jill

Jill,

My point was... my point was...

I asked you first! <G>

So Ms. South Carolina, did you win the Powerball lottery (changing the
subject). The winning ticket was sold there.

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 07:02:56 -0500, Andy > wrote:

FWIW Department:

>What to make during a heatwave?
>
>Air conditioners are just about at the breaking point.
>

>This morning I made a big batch of tuna salad for sandwiches. It's currently
>chilling in the fridge. I mixed it up with tartar sauce. First time. Will add
>avocado and toast the bread for crunch.

Flavorwise, that works, but you're better off on lo-carb lo-cal foods.
Tuna salad or slaw w/o mayo. Cold pickled foods. Sustaining salads
like taboulleh, chick-pea with peppers, Cobb. Chilled soups, like
cucumber-yogurt with dill. Skip the ice cream in favor of sorbet and
granita. Fruit platters with cheeses.

>Microwave does a decent job of not generating heat into the kitchen like the
>oven does, but who wants hot food during a heatwave?

Found that my new induction hob is great for keeping the heat down. My
kitchen is on the west side and catches full afternoon sun, so our
normal 95-98 degree days are annoying. Heat waves are worse. Our
recent HI's (Heat indexes) have ranged between 103 and 108.

HTH

Alex

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 20, 8:02*am, Andy > wrote:
> What to make during a heatwave?

> Microwave does a decent job of not generating heat into the kitchen like the
> oven does, but who wants hot food during a heatwave?
>
> You?

Me. A nice roast of pork with a salad and a few boiled potatoes
sounds good

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane said...

> On Aug 20, 8:02*am, Andy > wrote:
>> What to make during a heatwave?

>> Microwave does a decent job of not generating heat into the kitchen like

> the
>> oven does, but who wants hot food during a heatwave?
>>
>> You?

> Me. A nice roast of pork with a salad and a few boiled potatoes
> sounds good
>
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

John,

Spot me -20°F. and I'd agree.

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 20, 7:02*am, Andy > wrote:
> What to make during a heatwave?
>
> Air conditioners are just about at the breaking point.
>
> This morning I made a big batch of tuna salad for sandwiches. It's currently
> chilling in the fridge. I mixed it up with tartar sauce. First time. Will add
> avocado and toast the bread for crunch.
>
> Microwave does a decent job of not generating heat into the kitchen like the
> oven does, but who wants hot food during a heatwave?
>
> You?
>
> Andy

===============================
Reservations.
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig said...

> On Aug 20, 7:02*am, Andy > wrote:
>> What to make during a heatwave?
>>
>> Air conditioners are just about at the breaking point.
>>
>> This morning I made a big batch of tuna salad for sandwiches. It's

curren
> tly
>> chilling in the fridge. I mixed it up with tartar sauce. First time.

Will
> add
>> avocado and toast the bread for crunch.
>>
>> Microwave does a decent job of not generating heat into the kitchen like

> the
>> oven does, but who wants hot food during a heatwave?
>>
>> You?
>>
>> Andy

> ==============================Reservations.
> Lynn in Fargo

Lynn in Fargo,

The porch (http://i39.tinypic.com/2ue1xr7.jpg) is available.

Would you prefer tonight's tuna salad on bread or on a ritz?

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't mind eating hot food in the summer, but I try to make sure
it's all stove top cooking.

e.g. tonight, it's going to be a BLT ( WITH mayo) and some leftover
chicken with escarole soup. I intentionally made a cauldron of the
stuff, for quick heat and eat. Dessert will be a sliced nectarine and
some green grapes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown said...
>
>> "Andy" > wrote in message
>>> What to make during a heatwave?
>>>
>>> but who wants hot food during a heatwave?
>>>

>> I generally don't let the weather dictate my food choices. I *do*
>> prefer not to stand over a hot grill when it 98 degrees outside. I eat
>> hot soup all year round and bread and rolls hot out of the oven all year
>> long. I eat ice cream very rarely. What was your point?
>>

> My point was... my point was...
>
> I asked you first! <G>
>
> So Ms. South Carolina, did you win the Powerball lottery (changing the
> subject). The winning ticket was sold there.

I don't buy lottery tickets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 20, 8:02*am, Andy > wrote:
> What to make during a heatwave?
>
> Air conditioners are just about at the breaking point.
>
> This morning I made a big batch of tuna salad for sandwiches. It's currently
> chilling in the fridge. I mixed it up with tartar sauce. First time. Will add
> avocado and toast the bread for crunch.
>
> Microwave does a decent job of not generating heat into the kitchen like the
> oven does, but who wants hot food during a heatwave?
>
> You?
>
> Andy

Tonight was Gazpacho, last night roasted veggies (ok, the oven was on,
but only for 1/2 an hour), night before that tabouli.

Still too many csa veggies left.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> Tomato salad made by marinating tomato chunks with minced garlic, salt and
> good olive oil with some basil torn in before eating. Don't ever
> refrigerate it. Make just enough for a day.

Earlier tonight I commented to Lin that I was getting a bit tired of that
particular basil-tomato-garlic combination. But it can be completely
transformed by adding some Thai flavors, e.g., fish sauce instead of salt, a
minced hot chile, lime juice, and chopped cilantro. It's a nice salad, and
also a great relish for grilled chicken, pork, or fish.

You can also take that basil-tomato-garlic combination and add Kalamata
olives, feta cheese, and parsley to change it significantly. That would be a
nice side salad with grilled lamb chops.

If you want to get more adventurous, try combining tomatoes, basil, mint,
cilantro, watermelon, and rice vinegar, to make a side salad for grilled
scallops (wrapped in bacon, if you like!)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine wrote:
> On Aug 20, 8:02 am, Andy > wrote:

> Tonight was Gazpacho, last night roasted veggies (ok, the oven was on,
> but only for 1/2 an hour), night before that tabouli.
>
> Still too many csa veggies left.

Is there any that you can freeze for later?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy > wrote:

> What to make during a heatwave?
>
> Air conditioners are just about at the breaking point.
>
> This morning I made a big batch of tuna salad for sandwiches. It's currently
> chilling in the fridge. I mixed it up with tartar sauce. First time. Will add
> avocado and toast the bread for crunch.
>
> Microwave does a decent job of not generating heat into the kitchen like the
> oven does, but who wants hot food during a heatwave?
>
> You?

During the summer months, I spend so much time either outdoors or at
work that I don't have time to think about cooking meals. Like today, I
am about ready to leave for work, then right from work, I am going to
play a round of golf at a course about an hour from where I live, then
visit some friends who live near that golf course for dinner, then I
will sleep over there. Tomorrow, I plan to take my friends' two sons
(ages 13 and 15) out for their first round of golf so they can put their
golf lessons to the test. Their parents don't play golf so they asked me
to take their kids golfing and tomorrow's the big day. I figured it
would be a good idea for me to familiarize myself with the golf course
tonight so I don't look like a total idiot tomorrow. I am also fairly
new to golfing so I need all the practice I can get.

With all that going on, and some volunteer work this weekend and my
mom's birthday, cooking is not on my radar screen, but I am thinking of
making a big crock pot full of meatballs in tomato sauce overnight on
Sunday so I have something to eat for dinners next week. I figured that
at night, the crock pot's heat will be dissipated by my air conditioner.