Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
EmmyBlue EmmyBlue is offline

Default I need a little help

"Jack" > wrote in message
On Aug 16, 4:35 am, "EmmyBlue" > wrote:
> Decades ago in Long Beach, CA, a Mex./Amer. landlady used to invite me to
> her family dinners. The food, my god, the food was to die for. Her chile
> rellenos were so good that I begged her to teach me how to make them, and
> she did.
>
> She made a pinto beans and greens dish with bacon and onion that was also
> particular favorite of mine...cooked in a big cast iron skillet. What she
> called it sounded like "ka-lee-tees." I have searched the Internet just
> using the ingredients, but to no avail.
>
> Does anyone here know what I'm looking for? If not, is there another food
> newsgroup that would know?
>
> I thank you for any help.
> ev

Sounds like "Quelite". Wikipedia states: Quelite can mean any of a
number of different plants eaten in Mexico for their leaves, as leaf
vegetables or herbs, including but not limited to: Amaranthus,
Chenopodium or Coriandrum species. Maybe it was just Coriander
(Cilantro)?
Good luck............

jack
~~~~~~~~
Hmmm...I wonder what the Mexican word for mustard greens is...
ev
--
http://soonerblue.bloghi.com/