Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack[_1_] Victor Sack[_1_] is offline

Default Newbe question regarding beef

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> The dear aulde dad used to *love* t-bones. He and the DH once got into
> a protracted debate on the merits of t-bones versus the DH's favorite,
> bone-in rib eye (sorry, Dad, the DH wins this one).

I'd be on the side of bone-in rib eye, too, but it is not really fair
comparing such different cuts. Still, it has to be said that t-bone or
porterhouse (in the American usage) is an extremely awkward cut. It
effectively consists of two different cuts, fillet (tenderloin) and the
short loin (or strip, or in the sometime British usage, porterhouse),
requiring different cooking times, so it is virtually impossible to get
a perfect steak with this cut. Different parts of the steak will reach
the desired cooked temperature at different times, that is, the fillet
will tend to reach the desired level of doneness before the strip.
Besides, the fillet part is really not one of the more flavourful cuts.
It can still be a very fine steak indeed, but it can never be perfect.
The same is true of the famous bistecca alla fiorentina, perhaps the
only non-American example of such a cut.

Victor