Posted to rec.food.cooking
hahabogus[_3_] hahabogus[_3_] is offline

Default Newbe question regarding beef

"jmcquown" > wrote in
on Jul Thu 2009 pm

> "Bobo Bonobo®" > wrote in message
> .
> .. On Jul 22, 7:17 pm, Nikhil Patel > wrote:
>> I have bought a boneless Loin Sirloin steak but don't know what to do
>> with it. I checked some of the recipes online but they are all using
>> much smaller sirloin steaks. Mine is more than 1.75" thick and weighs
>> a little more than 2lbs. Does that mean mine is actually not a
>> sirloin steak? How do I cook this thing? Does any of you have any
>> easy recipes.

> If you have a charcoal grill, grill it. If you have a gas grill,
> grill it. Not as good as wood/charcoal, but fine. If no outdoor
> grill, then pan sear it or broil it. 1.75" is a good thickness for a
> sirloin, assuming you like beef rare. Apply black pepper to the
> surfaces, especially onto any fat, and go for it. If you like beef
> well done, you bought the wrong thickness of sirloin.
>
> --Bryan
>

> I never have understood those chain restaurant commercials touting
> their "sirloin" steaks. It's a cheap cut of meat, usually tough even
> when they don't overcook it. It's best grilled no more than med-rare.
> Marinade is a good idea, too.
>
> Jill

Yes it isn't that tender, but has great taste in stews or braised....loads more flavourful than round
steak or stewing beef.

If I fry it, I like to rub freshly ground pepper into both sides as well as some granulated garlic
powder and some onion powder. (after whacking it with a tenderizing mallet for a while). I rub the
pepper etc. in using a table fork, that seems to work better that using just my hands/fingers. I also
lightly salt it, but only just seconds before frying it.

The back of a largish kitchen knife (My preference a meat cleaver) or the edge of a sturdy dinner
plate can work as a tenderizing mallet replacment in a pinch.

--

The beet goes on -Alan