Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking
Brian Mailman[_1_] Brian Mailman[_1_] is offline

Default New sourdough starter help?

*followup set*

Joe Watson wrote:
> On Jul 15, 11:40 am, Corey Richardson >
> wrote:

>> I started this with ordinary white flour (I now know that was wrong)
>> and it's around 2 weeks old now....

> Bread flour works better but any flour will make a starter if you
> leave it long enough.

Well, the latter is true. I'm not sure about the former, gluten
development isn't dependent on the gluten in the starter. While the
latter is true, whole-grain flours seem to do best for beginning a
starter, because it's widely believed that the lactobacillic component
comes from there.

B/