Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking

Default New sourdough starter help?

I'm a learner when it comes to sourdough starters, but I'm currently
giving it a try and would appreciate your help and suggestions.

I started this with ordinary white flour (I now know that was wrong)
and it's around 2 weeks old now. It smells very beer or wine like, has
a browny coloured 'hooch' and has signs of life. The problem is that
when I feed it, it doesn't double in volume and just continues gently
bubbling.

Do you think my starter is too thin, or just still immature?

Many thanks for your help.

--
Corey Richardson
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 7:40*am, Corey Richardson >
wrote:
> I'm a learner when it comes to sourdough starters, but I'm currently
> giving it a try and would appreciate your help and suggestions.
>
> I started this with ordinary white flour (I now know that was wrong)
> and it's around 2 weeks old now. It smells very beer or wine like, has
> a browny coloured 'hooch' and has signs of life. The problem is that
> when I feed it, it doesn't double in volume and just continues gently
> bubbling.
>
> Do you think my starter is too thin, or just still immature?
>
> Many thanks for your help.
>
> --
> Corey Richardson

I used an excellent sourdough starter from carlsfriends.org.

The price is reasonable. Either a SASE business envelope, or $1.

They have recipes etc available as well.

Ribitt
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:40:22 +0100, Corey Richardson
> wrote:

>I'm a learner when it comes to sourdough starters, but I'm currently
>giving it a try and would appreciate your help and suggestions.
>
>I started this with ordinary white flour (I now know that was wrong)
>and it's around 2 weeks old now. It smells very beer or wine like, has
>a browny coloured 'hooch' and has signs of life. The problem is that
>when I feed it, it doesn't double in volume and just continues gently
>bubbling.
>
>Do you think my starter is too thin, or just still immature?
>
>Many thanks for your help.

It isn't wrong to use white flour. You can get a decent starter with
white flour.

How often do you refresh this starter, what proportions of flour to
water are you using, how much old starter are you keeping in the
refreshment and how is it all stored in between refreshments?

Boron

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:21:20 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:40:22 +0100, Corey Richardson
> wrote:
>
>>I'm a learner when it comes to sourdough starters, but I'm currently
>>giving it a try and would appreciate your help and suggestions.
>>
>>I started this with ordinary white flour (I now know that was wrong)
>>and it's around 2 weeks old now. It smells very beer or wine like, has
>>a browny coloured 'hooch' and has signs of life. The problem is that
>>when I feed it, it doesn't double in volume and just continues gently
>>bubbling.
>>
>>Do you think my starter is too thin, or just still immature?
>>
>>Many thanks for your help.

>It isn't wrong to use white flour. You can get a decent starter with
>white flour.
>
>How often do you refresh this starter, what proportions of flour to
>water are you using, how much old starter are you keeping in the
>refreshment and how is it all stored in between refreshments?
>
>Boron

I'm refreshing around every 2 days, keeping half the starter and using
a 50:50 flour/water feed. It's kept in a plastic tub at around 20°C
(68°F).

Thanks for your help.

--
Corey Richardson
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 06:41:40 -0700 (PDT), ribitt >
wrote:

>On Jul 15, 7:40*am, Corey Richardson >
>wrote:
>> I'm a learner when it comes to sourdough starters, but I'm currently
>> giving it a try and would appreciate your help and suggestions.
>>
>> I started this with ordinary white flour (I now know that was wrong)
>> and it's around 2 weeks old now. It smells very beer or wine like, has
>> a browny coloured 'hooch' and has signs of life. The problem is that
>> when I feed it, it doesn't double in volume and just continues gently
>> bubbling.
>>
>> Do you think my starter is too thin, or just still immature?
>>
>> Many thanks for your help.
>>
>> --
>> Corey Richardson

>I used an excellent sourdough starter from carlsfriends.org.
>
>The price is reasonable. Either a SASE business envelope, or $1.
>
>They have recipes etc available as well.
>
>Ribitt

Thanks for that. I will contact him if my starter fails.

--
Corey Richardson

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:28:12 +0100, Corey Richardson
> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 06:41:40 -0700 (PDT), ribitt >
>wrote:
>>
>>I used an excellent sourdough starter from carlsfriends.org.
>>
>>The price is reasonable. Either a SASE business envelope, or $1.
>>
>>They have recipes etc available as well.
>>
>>Ribitt

>Thanks for that. I will contact him if my starter fails.

I wonder if there's a volunteer in the UK for this?

--
Corey Richardson >
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:27:15 +0100, Corey Richardson
> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:21:20 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:40:22 +0100, Corey Richardson
> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm a learner when it comes to sourdough starters, but I'm currently
>>>giving it a try and would appreciate your help and suggestions.
>>>
>>>I started this with ordinary white flour (I now know that was wrong)
>>>and it's around 2 weeks old now. It smells very beer or wine like, has
>>>a browny coloured 'hooch' and has signs of life. The problem is that
>>>when I feed it, it doesn't double in volume and just continues gently
>>>bubbling.
>>>
>>>Do you think my starter is too thin, or just still immature?
>>>
>>>Many thanks for your help.

>>It isn't wrong to use white flour. You can get a decent starter with
>>white flour.
>>
>>How often do you refresh this starter, what proportions of flour to
>>water are you using, how much old starter are you keeping in the
>>refreshment and how is it all stored in between refreshments?
>>
>>Boron

>I'm refreshing around every 2 days, keeping half the starter and using
>a 50:50 flour/water feed. It's kept in a plastic tub at around 20°C
>(68°F).
>
>Thanks for your help.

Those nice little buggies are starving.

Try upping your refreshment to twice a day, tossing all but the dregs
of the container and refreshing with only 2-3 tablespoons of flour and
the same of water each time. I am betting that you'll be all
bubbly-wubbly in a day or two. Then let it stabilize for a few more
days, and you can go ahead and try it.

Oh..keep the tub covered. Fruit flies LOVE this stuff.

Once you have your starter firmly established -i.e., it is rising
properly in the container and functioning well in dough/bread, then
you needn't refresh often unless you are going to use it. Refresh it,
then put it in the fridge, taking it out to refresh once or twice
before use, or refreshing it once and week and returning it to the
fridge to store for the next time.

Boron
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking

"Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
> I'm a learner when it comes to sourdough starters, but I'm currently
> giving it a try and would appreciate your help and suggestions.
>
> I started this with ordinary white flour (I now know that was wrong)
> and it's around 2 weeks old now. It smells very beer or wine like, has
> a browny coloured 'hooch' and has signs of life. The problem is that
> when I feed it, it doesn't double in volume and just continues gently
> bubbling.
>
> Do you think my starter is too thin, or just still immature?

It's immature. You don't usually get a lot of volume increase because there
is no gluten really to hold it up. When you start using it and set aside
the sponge you'll notice a big change in the way it behaves. I did SD
cooking way back when and I read up on all the stories about how starters
were coveted by their owners and how some were literally a hundred years old
and passed down from generation to generation. There is a bakery in NYC I
believe that has a starter that was brought over from Italy back in the
early 19th century.

Sourdough is really cool stuff.

Paul

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking

"Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:28:12 +0100, Corey Richardson
> > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 06:41:40 -0700 (PDT), ribitt >
>>wrote:
>>>
>>>I used an excellent sourdough starter from carlsfriends.org.
>>>
>>>The price is reasonable. Either a SASE business envelope, or $1.
>>>
>>>They have recipes etc available as well.
>>>
>>>Ribitt

>>Thanks for that. I will contact him if my starter fails.

> I wonder if there's a volunteer in the UK for this?
>
> --
> Corey Richardson >

Ask this question at alt.bread.recipes. We used to have someone in the UK
that expedited this. For sure we have UK posters. Someone is sure to
remember, I just can't recall who it was. Your alternative is to ask at
rec.food.sourdough. The some of the folks there are the keepers of the
starter.
Janet

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
m...
> Ask this question at alt.bread.recipes. We used to have someone in the UK
> that expedited this. For sure we have UK posters. Someone is sure to
> remember, I just can't recall who it was. Your alternative is to ask at
> rec.food.sourdough. The some of the folks there are the keepers of the
> starter.

Hi Janet,

I used to be the keeper of Carl's starter in UK but had to stop when I
became very ill and I simply was not able to continue.

Corey has caused a lot of trouble in the UK group with his attitude and
cross posting. I prepared a response to Corey but when I
saw his crossposting I deleted it.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 20:34:15 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
om...
>> Ask this question at alt.bread.recipes. We used to have someone in the UK
>> that expedited this. For sure we have UK posters. Someone is sure to
>> remember, I just can't recall who it was. Your alternative is to ask at
>> rec.food.sourdough. The some of the folks there are the keepers of the
>> starter.

>Hi Janet,
>
>I used to be the keeper of Carl's starter in UK but had to stop when I
>became very ill and I simply was not able to continue.
>
>Corey has caused a lot of trouble in the UK group with his attitude and
>cross posting.

I beg your pardon? Which attitude and what trouble would that be?
Please direct me to this supposed trouble.

> I prepared a response to Corey but when Isaw his crossposting I deleted it.

Oh well. If you don't wish to reply to an on-topic post that was
crossposted (just like you're doing right now) to three totally
relevant groups, that's your choice.

How very strange.

--
Corey Richardson
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:09:36 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>"Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:28:12 +0100, Corey Richardson
>> > wrote:

>>>Thanks for that. I will contact him if my starter fails.

>> I wonder if there's a volunteer in the UK for this?
>>
>> --
>> Corey Richardson >

>Ask this question at alt.bread.recipes. We used to have someone in the UK
>that expedited this. For sure we have UK posters. Someone is sure to
>remember, I just can't recall who it was. Your alternative is to ask at
>rec.food.sourdough. The some of the folks there are the keepers of the
>starter.
>Janet

Many thanks for the reply, Janet. I've done as you've suggested.

--
Corey Richardson

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:48:37 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:27:15 +0100, Corey Richardson
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:21:20 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>>>It isn't wrong to use white flour. You can get a decent starter with
>>>white flour.
>>>
>>>How often do you refresh this starter, what proportions of flour to
>>>water are you using, how much old starter are you keeping in the
>>>refreshment and how is it all stored in between refreshments?
>>>
>>>Boron

>>I'm refreshing around every 2 days, keeping half the starter and using
>>a 50:50 flour/water feed. It's kept in a plastic tub at around 20°C
>>(68°F).
>>
>>Thanks for your help.

>Those nice little buggies are starving.
>
>Try upping your refreshment to twice a day, tossing all but the dregs
>of the container and refreshing with only 2-3 tablespoons of flour and
>the same of water each time. I am betting that you'll be all
>bubbly-wubbly in a day or two. Then let it stabilize for a few more
>days, and you can go ahead and try it.
>
>Oh..keep the tub covered. Fruit flies LOVE this stuff.
>
>Once you have your starter firmly established -i.e., it is rising
>properly in the container and functioning well in dough/bread, then
>you needn't refresh often unless you are going to use it. Refresh it,
>then put it in the fridge, taking it out to refresh once or twice
>before use, or refreshing it once and week and returning it to the
>fridge to store for the next time.
>
>Boron

Thanks for taking the time to give me some advice, Boron.

--
Corey Richardson
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:53:54 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I'm a learner when it comes to sourdough starters, but I'm currently
>> giving it a try and would appreciate your help and suggestions.
>>
>> I started this with ordinary white flour (I now know that was wrong)
>> and it's around 2 weeks old now. It smells very beer or wine like, has
>> a browny coloured 'hooch' and has signs of life. The problem is that
>> when I feed it, it doesn't double in volume and just continues gently
>> bubbling.
>>
>> Do you think my starter is too thin, or just still immature?

>It's immature. You don't usually get a lot of volume increase because there
>is no gluten really to hold it up.

Thanks. I'll make a few adjustments, as suggested, and wait a while
longer.

--
Corey Richardson
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 11:40 am, Corey Richardson >
wrote:
> I'm a learner when it comes to sourdough starters, but I'm currently
> giving it a try and would appreciate your help and suggestions.
>
> I started this with ordinary white flour (I now know that was wrong)
> and it's around 2 weeks old now. It smells very beer or wine like, has
> a browny coloured 'hooch' and has signs of life. The problem is that
> when I feed it, it doesn't double in volume and just continues gently
> bubbling.
>
> Do you think my starter is too thin, or just still immature?
>
> Many thanks for your help.
>
> --
> Corey Richardson

Bread flour works better but any flour will make a starter if you
leave it long enough. Three or four days should do it. The smell
should tell you if it's ready.

Joe

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.cooking

*followup set*

Joe Watson wrote:
> On Jul 15, 11:40 am, Corey Richardson >
> wrote:

>> I started this with ordinary white flour (I now know that was wrong)
>> and it's around 2 weeks old now....

> Bread flour works better but any flour will make a starter if you
> leave it long enough.

Well, the latter is true. I'm not sure about the former, gluten
development isn't dependent on the gluten in the starter. While the
latter is true, whole-grain flours seem to do best for beginning a
starter, because it's widely believed that the lactobacillic component
comes from there.

B/

My New Rye Sourdough Starter Thomas C. Sourdough 8 20-09-2007 05:00 AM
San Francisco sourdough starter and Carl's starter June Hughes Sourdough 7 29-03-2007 07:48 PM
Sourdough Starter Tim Recipes 1 21-12-2005 12:30 PM
My first sourdough starter. Fred Baking 18 06-04-2004 02:43 AM
Sourdough Starter [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 19-11-2003 04:37 PM