Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default choice of flours to thicken after cooking

john royce wrote:

> I like to make curries and then thicken them up towards the end of cooking.
> I been told that using cornflour produces a slightly 'gloupy' texture.
> Which leaves using plain flour or self raising flour. Is there any
> significance difference between using these two? Thanks.

A proper curry doesn't need a thickener. But if you
feel the need to thicken it, a more traditional
ingredient would be a potato. Grate it, and it
should disintegrate completely during cooking.
Add it at the beginning of cooking to give it time
to let go.