Posted to rec.food.cooking
jt august[_3_] jt august[_3_] is offline

Default Where is Orange Julius?!!

> Here ya go- the recipe I use calls for a quarter cup of sugar...
> 6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
> 1 cup milk
> 1 cup water
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1 tsp. vanilla extract
> 8-9 ice cubes
>
> 1. Combine all ingredients except ice cubes in blender.
> 2. Blend for about 1-2 minutes, adding ice cubes one at a time.

I have a different recipe, based on how they used to make it (back in
the days when you could order it with an extra raw egg blended in):

2/3 cup boiling water
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup ice
2 tablespoons dehydrated meringue powder
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
1 1/2 crushed ice

Boil water. Pour into ceramic or pyrex cup or bowl. Stir in sugar and
vanilla, and immediately dissolve. Once dissolved, stir in ice to
quickly chill. Stir to melt ice completely. If making in advance,
store in refrigerator until ready to use.

Combine powdered sugar and meringue powder together.

In a blender, add sweetened water, orange juice and powder blend. Puree
for 15-30 seconds, then add crushed ice and puree until smooth. Serve
in chilled glass.

Today, the meringue powder is still safe, but because the dehydration
process doesn't cook the egg, people who fear raw egg (and lawyers) also
fear meringue powder.

jt