Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Where is Orange Julius?!!

Where is Orange Julius?!!

After some talk of chocolate limeaid and orangeaid in the "What does Summer
taste like" thread, I began thinking about what would I drink that I
wouldn't make at home? And then it hit me...

Orange Julius

I didn't remember liking it somehow but earlier today it sounded more
appealing than water. So, I visit their website and check locations and
there's one at the mall not two miles away.

I rang them up and finally a kid answers "Orange Julius/Dairy Queen". ???

Anyway... the conversation went like this:

"Where are you located in the mall?"

"We're directly across from us there's a 'New York Boutique'."

What the heck? I almost asked him where that was located.

"Is it close to the Sears end or the Boscovs end of the mall?"

"Uhm, hold on..." long wait, "it's by the Sears."

"OK, on the first or second floor?"

"Uhm... ...first floor?!"

"Thanks." <CLICK>

After that, my interest in an Orange Julius jumped out the window. I
should've followed it out of disbelief! I came to my rescue by reminding
myself that I didn't really like Orange Julius.

Trying to figure out the kids ineptness, I pictured some poor alien from
outer space had just been transported into the store by mistake next to the
phone just as it was ringing and it was really trying to be helpful. I
hoped he scurried off unnoticed to do something useful, like taking over
the planet!!!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 30, 10:30*am, Andy > wrote:
> Where is Orange Julius?!!
>
> After some talk of chocolate limeaid and orangeaid in the "What does Summer
> taste like" thread, I began thinking about what would I drink that I
> wouldn't make at home? And then it hit me...
>
> Orange Julius
>
> I didn't remember liking it somehow but earlier today it sounded more
> appealing than water. So, I visit their website and check locations and
> there's one at the mall not two miles away.
>
> I rang them up and finally a kid answers "Orange Julius/Dairy Queen". ???
>
> Anyway... the conversation went like this:
>
> "Where are you located in the mall?"
>
> "We're directly across from us there's a 'New York Boutique'."
>
> What the heck? I almost asked him where that was located.
>
> "Is it close to the Sears end or the Boscovs end of the mall?"
>
> "Uhm, hold on..." long wait, "it's by the Sears."
>
> "OK, on the first or second floor?"
>
> "Uhm... ...first floor?!"
>
> "Thanks." <CLICK>
>
> After that, my interest in an Orange Julius jumped out the window. I
> should've followed it out of disbelief! I came to my rescue by reminding
> myself that I didn't really like Orange Julius.
>
> Trying to figure out the kids ineptness, I pictured some poor alien from
> outer space had just been transported into the store by mistake next to the
> phone just as it was ringing and it was really trying to be helpful. I
> hoped he scurried off unnoticed to do something useful, like taking over
> the planet!!!
>
> Andy

Here ya go- the recipe I use calls for a quarter cup of sugar...
6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
8-9 ice cubes

1. Combine all ingredients except ice cubes in blender.
2. Blend for about 1-2 minutes, adding ice cubes one at a time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:41:34 -0700 (PDT), Merryb >
wrote:

>On Jun 30, 10:30*am, Andy > wrote:
>> Where is Orange Julius?!!
>>
>> After some talk of chocolate limeaid and orangeaid in the "What does Summer
>> taste like" thread, I began thinking about what would I drink that I
>> wouldn't make at home? And then it hit me...
>>
>> Orange Julius
>>
>> I didn't remember liking it somehow but earlier today it sounded more
>> appealing than water. So, I visit their website and check locations and
>> there's one at the mall not two miles away.
>>
>> I rang them up and finally a kid answers "Orange Julius/Dairy Queen". ???
>>
>> Anyway... the conversation went like this:
>>
>> "Where are you located in the mall?"
>>
>> "We're directly across from us there's a 'New York Boutique'."
>>
>> What the heck? I almost asked him where that was located.
>>
>> "Is it close to the Sears end or the Boscovs end of the mall?"
>>
>> "Uhm, hold on..." long wait, "it's by the Sears."
>>
>> "OK, on the first or second floor?"
>>
>> "Uhm... ...first floor?!"
>>
>> "Thanks." <CLICK>
>>
>> After that, my interest in an Orange Julius jumped out the window. I
>> should've followed it out of disbelief! I came to my rescue by reminding
>> myself that I didn't really like Orange Julius.
>>
>> Trying to figure out the kids ineptness, I pictured some poor alien from
>> outer space had just been transported into the store by mistake next to the
>> phone just as it was ringing and it was really trying to be helpful. I
>> hoped he scurried off unnoticed to do something useful, like taking over
>> the planet!!!
>>
>> Andy

>Here ya go- the recipe I use calls for a quarter cup of sugar...
>6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
>1 cup milk
>1 cup water
>1/2 cup sugar
>1 tsp. vanilla extract
>8-9 ice cubes
>
>1. Combine all ingredients except ice cubes in blender.
>2. Blend for about 1-2 minutes, adding ice cubes one at a time.

Sounds good. I thought that Orange Julius had booze in it. What do I
know?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 30, 10:57*am, Vesper > wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:41:34 -0700 (PDT), Merryb >
> wrote:
>

> >On Jun 30, 10:30 am, Andy > wrote:
> >> Where is Orange Julius?!!

> >> After some talk of chocolate limeaid and orangeaid in the "What does Summer
> >> taste like" thread, I began thinking about what would I drink that I
> >> wouldn't make at home? And then it hit me...

> >> Orange Julius

> >> I didn't remember liking it somehow but earlier today it sounded more
> >> appealing than water. So, I visit their website and check locations and
> >> there's one at the mall not two miles away.

> >> I rang them up and finally a kid answers "Orange Julius/Dairy Queen". ???

> >> Anyway... the conversation went like this:

> >> "Where are you located in the mall?"

> >> "We're directly across from us there's a 'New York Boutique'."

> >> What the heck? I almost asked him where that was located.

> >> "Is it close to the Sears end or the Boscovs end of the mall?"

> >> "Uhm, hold on..." long wait, "it's by the Sears."

> >> "OK, on the first or second floor?"

> >> "Uhm... ...first floor?!"

> >> "Thanks." <CLICK>

> >> After that, my interest in an Orange Julius jumped out the window. I
> >> should've followed it out of disbelief! I came to my rescue by reminding
> >> myself that I didn't really like Orange Julius.

> >> Trying to figure out the kids ineptness, I pictured some poor alien from
> >> outer space had just been transported into the store by mistake next to the
> >> phone just as it was ringing and it was really trying to be helpful. I
> >> hoped he scurried off unnoticed to do something useful, like taking over
> >> the planet!!!

> >> Andy

> >Here ya go- the recipe I use calls for a quarter cup of sugar...
> >6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
> >1 cup milk
> >1 cup water
> >1/2 cup sugar
> >1 tsp. vanilla extract
> >8-9 ice cubes

> >1. Combine all ingredients except ice cubes in blender.
> >2. Blend for about 1-2 minutes, adding ice cubes one at a time.

> Sounds good. *I thought that Orange Julius had booze in it. *What do I
> know?
>
> V- Hide quoted text -

I guess you could add some vodka if you'd like- that might be good!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Merryb wrote:
> On Jun 30, 10:30*am, Andy > wrote:
>
>>Where is Orange Julius?!!
>>
>>After some talk of chocolate limeaid and orangeaid in the "What does Summer
>>taste like" thread, I began thinking about what would I drink that I
>>wouldn't make at home? And then it hit me...
>>
>>Orange Julius
>>
>>I didn't remember liking it somehow but earlier today it sounded more
>>appealing than water. So, I visit their website and check locations and
>>there's one at the mall not two miles away.
>>
>>I rang them up and finally a kid answers "Orange Julius/Dairy Queen". ???
>>
>>Anyway... the conversation went like this:
>>
>>"Where are you located in the mall?"
>>
>>"We're directly across from us there's a 'New York Boutique'."
>>
>>What the heck? I almost asked him where that was located.
>>
>>"Is it close to the Sears end or the Boscovs end of the mall?"
>>
>>"Uhm, hold on..." long wait, "it's by the Sears."
>>
>>"OK, on the first or second floor?"
>>
>>"Uhm... ...first floor?!"
>>
>>"Thanks." <CLICK>
>>
>>After that, my interest in an Orange Julius jumped out the window. I
>>should've followed it out of disbelief! I came to my rescue by reminding
>>myself that I didn't really like Orange Julius.
>>
>>Trying to figure out the kids ineptness, I pictured some poor alien from
>>outer space had just been transported into the store by mistake next to the
>>phone just as it was ringing and it was really trying to be helpful. I
>>hoped he scurried off unnoticed to do something useful, like taking over
>>the planet!!!
>>
>>Andy

> Here ya go- the recipe I use calls for a quarter cup of sugar...
> 6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
> 1 cup milk
> 1 cup water
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1 tsp. vanilla extract
> 8-9 ice cubes
>
> 1. Combine all ingredients except ice cubes in blender.
> 2. Blend for about 1-2 minutes, adding ice cubes one at a time.

Originally it contained raw egg and was a variation on a shandygaff,
waldorf flip or the old English "fool". All of which originally
contained various quantities of wine, brandy, ginger beer and/or champagne.
--
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://www.dancingmice.net/Karn%20Evil%209.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 30, 11:18*am, "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq." >
wrote:
> Merryb wrote:
> > On Jun 30, 10:30*am, Andy > wrote:

> >>Where is Orange Julius?!!

> >>After some talk of chocolate limeaid and orangeaid in the "What does Summer
> >>taste like" thread, I began thinking about what would I drink that I
> >>wouldn't make at home? And then it hit me...

> >>Orange Julius

> >>I didn't remember liking it somehow but earlier today it sounded more
> >>appealing than water. So, I visit their website and check locations and
> >>there's one at the mall not two miles away.

> >>I rang them up and finally a kid answers "Orange Julius/Dairy Queen". ???

> >>Anyway... the conversation went like this:

> >>"Where are you located in the mall?"

> >>"We're directly across from us there's a 'New York Boutique'."

> >>What the heck? I almost asked him where that was located.

> >>"Is it close to the Sears end or the Boscovs end of the mall?"

> >>"Uhm, hold on..." long wait, "it's by the Sears."

> >>"OK, on the first or second floor?"

> >>"Uhm... ...first floor?!"

> >>"Thanks." <CLICK>

> >>After that, my interest in an Orange Julius jumped out the window. I
> >>should've followed it out of disbelief! I came to my rescue by reminding
> >>myself that I didn't really like Orange Julius.

> >>Trying to figure out the kids ineptness, I pictured some poor alien from
> >>outer space had just been transported into the store by mistake next to the
> >>phone just as it was ringing and it was really trying to be helpful. I
> >>hoped he scurried off unnoticed to do something useful, like taking over
> >>the planet!!!

> >>Andy

> > Here ya go- the recipe I use calls for a quarter cup of sugar...
> > 6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
> > 1 cup milk
> > 1 cup water
> > 1/2 cup sugar
> > 1 tsp. vanilla extract
> > 8-9 ice cubes

> > 1. Combine all ingredients except ice cubes in blender.
> > 2. Blend for about 1-2 minutes, adding ice cubes one at a time.

> Originally it contained raw egg and was a variation on a shandygaff,
> waldorf flip or the old English "fool". *All of which originally
> contained various quantities of wine, brandy, ginger beer *and/or champagne.
> --
> Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.
>
> Domine, dirige nos.
> Let the games begin!http://www.dancingmice.net/Karn%20Evil%209.mp3

i've seen recipes that included simple syrup.

harriet in hot and dry azusa, ca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:18:18 -0700, "Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq."
> wrote:

>Merryb wrote:
>> On Jun 30, 10:30*am, Andy > wrote:
>>
>>>Where is Orange Julius?!!
>>>
>>>After some talk of chocolate limeaid and orangeaid in the "What does Summer
>>>taste like" thread, I began thinking about what would I drink that I
>>>wouldn't make at home? And then it hit me...
>>>
>>>Orange Julius
>>>
>>>I didn't remember liking it somehow but earlier today it sounded more
>>>appealing than water. So, I visit their website and check locations and
>>>there's one at the mall not two miles away.
>>>
>>>I rang them up and finally a kid answers "Orange Julius/Dairy Queen". ???
>>>
>>>Anyway... the conversation went like this:
>>>
>>>"Where are you located in the mall?"
>>>
>>>"We're directly across from us there's a 'New York Boutique'."
>>>
>>>What the heck? I almost asked him where that was located.
>>>
>>>"Is it close to the Sears end or the Boscovs end of the mall?"
>>>
>>>"Uhm, hold on..." long wait, "it's by the Sears."
>>>
>>>"OK, on the first or second floor?"
>>>
>>>"Uhm... ...first floor?!"
>>>
>>>"Thanks." <CLICK>
>>>
>>>After that, my interest in an Orange Julius jumped out the window. I
>>>should've followed it out of disbelief! I came to my rescue by reminding
>>>myself that I didn't really like Orange Julius.
>>>
>>>Trying to figure out the kids ineptness, I pictured some poor alien from
>>>outer space had just been transported into the store by mistake next to the
>>>phone just as it was ringing and it was really trying to be helpful. I
>>>hoped he scurried off unnoticed to do something useful, like taking over
>>>the planet!!!
>>>
>>>Andy

>> Here ya go- the recipe I use calls for a quarter cup of sugar...
>> 6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
>> 1 cup milk
>> 1 cup water
>> 1/2 cup sugar
>> 1 tsp. vanilla extract
>> 8-9 ice cubes
>>
>> 1. Combine all ingredients except ice cubes in blender.
>> 2. Blend for about 1-2 minutes, adding ice cubes one at a time.

>Originally it contained raw egg and was a variation on a shandygaff,
>waldorf flip or the old English "fool". All of which originally
>contained various quantities of wine, brandy, ginger beer and/or champagne.

Thanks. I thought so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Merryb said...

> Here ya go- the recipe I use calls for a quarter cup of sugar...
> 6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
> 1 cup milk
> 1 cup water
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1 tsp. vanilla extract
> 8-9 ice cubes
>
> 1. Combine all ingredients except ice cubes in blender.
> 2. Blend for about 1-2 minutes, adding ice cubes one at a time.

Merryb,

Thanks! You've single-handedly saved the day, again! :-)

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 30, 11:37*am, Andy > wrote:
> Merryb said...
>

> > Here ya go- the recipe I use calls for a quarter cup of sugar...
> > 6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
> > 1 cup milk
> > 1 cup water
> > 1/2 cup sugar
> > 1 tsp. vanilla extract
> > 8-9 ice cubes

> > 1. Combine all ingredients except ice cubes in blender.
> > 2. Blend for about 1-2 minutes, adding ice cubes one at a time.

> Merryb,
>
> Thanks! You've single-handedly saved the day, again! :-)
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Enjoy- they are pretty close to the "real" thing!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:57:31 -0500, Vesper > wrote:

>Sounds good. I thought that Orange Julius had booze in it. What do I
>know?

No! It doesn't even need added sugar.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:30:45 -0500, Andy wrote:

> Where is Orange Julius?!!
>
> After some talk of chocolate limeaid and orangeaid in the "What does Summer
> taste like" thread, I began thinking about what would I drink that I
> wouldn't make at home? And then it hit me...
>
> Orange Julius
>
> I didn't remember liking it somehow but earlier today it sounded more
> appealing than water. So, I visit their website and check locations and
> there's one at the mall not two miles away.
>
> I rang them up and finally a kid answers "Orange Julius/Dairy Queen". ???
>
> Anyway... the conversation went like this:
>
> "Where are you located in the mall?"
>
> "We're directly across from us there's a 'New York Boutique'."
>
> What the heck? I almost asked him where that was located.
>
> "Is it close to the Sears end or the Boscovs end of the mall?"
>
> "Uhm, hold on..." long wait, "it's by the Sears."
>
> "OK, on the first or second floor?"
>
> "Uhm... ...first floor?!"
>
> "Thanks." <CLICK>
>
> After that, my interest in an Orange Julius jumped out the window. I
> should've followed it out of disbelief! I came to my rescue by reminding
> myself that I didn't really like Orange Julius.

you simple-minded boob. go to the mall; they have maps. or did you expect
the kid to come and pick you up and drive you there?

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 1, 11:26*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:30:45 -0500, Andy wrote:
> > Where is Orange Julius?!!

> > After some talk of chocolate limeaid and orangeaid in the "What does Summer
> > taste like" thread, I began thinking about what would I drink that I
> > wouldn't make at home? And then it hit me...

> > Orange Julius

> > I didn't remember liking it somehow but earlier today it sounded more
> > appealing than water. So, I visit their website and check locations and
> > there's one at the mall not two miles away.

> > I rang them up and finally a kid answers "Orange Julius/Dairy Queen". ???

> > Anyway... the conversation went like this:

> > "Where are you located in the mall?"

> > "We're directly across from us there's a 'New York Boutique'."

> > What the heck? I almost asked him where that was located.

> > "Is it close to the Sears end or the Boscovs end of the mall?"

> > "Uhm, hold on..." long wait, "it's by the Sears."

> > "OK, on the first or second floor?"

> > "Uhm... ...first floor?!"

> > "Thanks." <CLICK>

> > After that, my interest in an Orange Julius jumped out the window. I
> > should've followed it out of disbelief! I came to my rescue by reminding
> > myself that I didn't really like Orange Julius.

> you simple-minded boob. *go to the mall; they have maps. *or did you expect
> the kid to come and pick you up and drive you there?
>
> blake- Hide quoted text -

Well, yes there are maps. But if he already has a live person on the
phone who SHOULD know where it is, I understand wanting to just get
directions from them.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy said...

> you simple-minded boob. go to the mall; they have maps. or did you expect
> the kid to come and pick you up and drive you there?

My feet don't serve me as well as they used to.

My inquiry was to determine where to park for the shortest walk to the store.

You're such a pityful, no-legged asshole!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Where is Orange Julius?!!

<snip>

> Anyway... the conversation went like this:
>
> "Where are you located in the mall?"
>
> "We're directly across from us there's a 'New York Boutique'."
>
> What the heck? I almost asked him where that was located.
>
> "Is it close to the Sears end or the Boscovs end of the mall?"
>
> "Uhm, hold on..." long wait, "it's by the Sears."
>
> "OK, on the first or second floor?"
>
> "Uhm... ...first floor?!"
>
> "Thanks." <CLICK>
>

> After that, my interest in an Orange Julius jumped out the window. I
> should've followed it out of disbelief! I came to my rescue by reminding
> myself that I didn't really like Orange Julius.
>
> Trying to figure out the kids ineptness, I pictured some poor alien from
> outer space had just been transported into the store by mistake next to the
> phone just as it was ringing and it was really trying to be helpful. I
> hoped he scurried off unnoticed to do something useful, like taking over
> the planet!!!

You asked the kid where the Orange Julius store is. The kid told you
what store they are across from, to help you locate it. Because YOU
didn't know where THAT was, you asked him if it's near Sears or Boscovs.
He told you it's by Sears. You asked if it's the first or second floor.
He told you it's the first floor. Then you remembered that you don't
like Orange Julius. Ergo, the kid is inept.

Please explain how you came to that conclusion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 15:38:20 -0600, Pennyaline
> wrote:

>Andy wrote:
>> Where is Orange Julius?!!

><snip>
>
>> Anyway... the conversation went like this:
>>
>> "Where are you located in the mall?"
>>
>> "We're directly across from us there's a 'New York Boutique'."
>>
>> What the heck? I almost asked him where that was located.
>>
>> "Is it close to the Sears end or the Boscovs end of the mall?"
>>
>> "Uhm, hold on..." long wait, "it's by the Sears."
>>
>> "OK, on the first or second floor?"
>>
>> "Uhm... ...first floor?!"
>>
>> "Thanks." <CLICK>
>>

>> After that, my interest in an Orange Julius jumped out the window. I
>> should've followed it out of disbelief! I came to my rescue by reminding
>> myself that I didn't really like Orange Julius.
>>
>> Trying to figure out the kids ineptness, I pictured some poor alien from
>> outer space had just been transported into the store by mistake next to the
>> phone just as it was ringing and it was really trying to be helpful. I
>> hoped he scurried off unnoticed to do something useful, like taking over
>> the planet!!!

>You asked the kid where the Orange Julius store is. The kid told you
>what store they are across from, to help you locate it. Because YOU
>didn't know where THAT was, you asked him if it's near Sears or Boscovs.
>He told you it's by Sears. You asked if it's the first or second floor.
>He told you it's the first floor. Then you remembered that you don't
>like Orange Julius. Ergo, the kid is inept.
>
>Please explain how you came to that conclusion.

This should be interesting in logical notation. Can I watch?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 30, 12:30*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Where is Orange Julius?!!
>
> After some talk of chocolate limeaid and orangeaid in the "What does Summer
> taste like" thread, I began thinking about what would I drink that I
> wouldn't make at home? And then it hit me...
>
> Orange Julius
>
> I didn't remember liking it somehow but earlier today it sounded more
> appealing than water. So, I visit their website and check locations and
> there's one at the mall not two miles away.
>
> I rang them up and finally a kid answers "Orange Julius/Dairy Queen". ???
>
> Anyway... the conversation went like this:
>
> "Where are you located in the mall?"
>
> "We're directly across from us there's a 'New York Boutique'."
>
> What the heck? I almost asked him where that was located.
>
> "Is it close to the Sears end or the Boscovs end of the mall?"
>
> "Uhm, hold on..." long wait, "it's by the Sears."
>
> "OK, on the first or second floor?"
>
> "Uhm... ...first floor?!"
>
> "Thanks." <CLICK>
>
> After that, my interest in an Orange Julius jumped out the window. I
> should've followed it out of disbelief! I came to my rescue by reminding
> myself that I didn't really like Orange Julius.
>
> Trying to figure out the kids ineptness, I pictured some poor alien from
> outer space had just been transported into the store by mistake next to the
> phone just as it was ringing and it was really trying to be helpful. I
> hoped he scurried off unnoticed to do something useful, like taking over
> the planet!!!

We got a damned good laugh out of this post. My wife was reading it
with me, and the line, "I didn't remember liking it somehow but
earlier today it sounded more appealing than water," cracked us both
up. Then we got to, "I came to my rescue by reminding myself that I
didn't really like Orange Julius." We both laughed for a while.
Those are very Brautiganesque lines. You should go to your public
Library and check out "So the Wind Won't Blow It All Away."

> Andy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 1, 3:31*pm, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
> On Jun 30, 12:30*pm, Andy > wrote:
>

> > Where is Orange Julius?!!

> > After some talk of chocolate limeaid and orangeaid in the "What does Summer
> > taste like" thread, I began thinking about what would I drink that I
> > wouldn't make at home? And then it hit me...

> > Orange Julius

> > I didn't remember liking it somehow but earlier today it sounded more
> > appealing than water. So, I visit their website and check locations and
> > there's one at the mall not two miles away.

> > I rang them up and finally a kid answers "Orange Julius/Dairy Queen". ???

> > Anyway... the conversation went like this:

> > "Where are you located in the mall?"

> > "We're directly across from us there's a 'New York Boutique'."

> > What the heck? I almost asked him where that was located.

> > "Is it close to the Sears end or the Boscovs end of the mall?"

> > "Uhm, hold on..." long wait, "it's by the Sears."

> > "OK, on the first or second floor?"

> > "Uhm... ...first floor?!"

> > "Thanks." <CLICK>

> > After that, my interest in an Orange Julius jumped out the window. I
> > should've followed it out of disbelief! I came to my rescue by reminding
> > myself that I didn't really like Orange Julius.

> > Trying to figure out the kids ineptness, I pictured some poor alien from
> > outer space had just been transported into the store by mistake next to the
> > phone just as it was ringing and it was really trying to be helpful. I
> > hoped he scurried off unnoticed to do something useful, like taking over
> > the planet!!!

> We got a damned good laugh out of this post. *My wife was reading it
> with me, and the line, "I didn't remember liking it somehow but
> earlier today it sounded more appealing than water," cracked us both
> up. *Then we got to, "I came to my rescue by reminding myself that I
> didn't really like Orange Julius." *We both laughed for a while.
> Those are very Brautiganesque lines. *You should go to your public
> Library and check out "So the Wind Won't Blow It All Away."
>

> > Andy

> --Bryan- Hide quoted text -

Good thing I supplied the recipe, huh?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 1, 4:38*pm, Pennyaline > wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> > Where is Orange Julius?!!

> <snip>
>

> > Anyway... the conversation went like this:

> > "Where are you located in the mall?"

> > "We're directly across from us there's a 'New York Boutique'."

> > What the heck? I almost asked him where that was located.

> > "Is it close to the Sears end or the Boscovs end of the mall?"

> > "Uhm, hold on..." long wait, "it's by the Sears."

> > "OK, on the first or second floor?"

> > "Uhm... ...first floor?!"

> > "Thanks." <CLICK>

> > After that, my interest in an Orange Julius jumped out the window. I
> > should've followed it out of disbelief! I came to my rescue by reminding
> > myself that I didn't really like Orange Julius.

> > Trying to figure out the kids ineptness, I pictured some poor alien from
> > outer space had just been transported into the store by mistake next to the
> > phone just as it was ringing and it was really trying to be helpful. I
> > hoped he scurried off unnoticed to do something useful, like taking over
> > the planet!!!

> You asked the kid where the Orange Julius store is. The kid told you
> what store they are across from, to help you locate it. Because YOU
> didn't know where THAT was, you asked him if it's near Sears or Boscovs.
> He told you it's by Sears. You asked if it's the first or second floor.
> He told you it's the first floor. Then you remembered that you don't
> like Orange Julius. Ergo, the kid is inept.
>
> Please explain how you came to that conclusion.

Andy eats SOS and drinks Bud Light for breakfast and you expect him to
be logically coherent? This was a funny post. Perhaps he thinks that
anyone who works at an OJ is inept anyway, but more likely he just
brainfarted.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® said...

> On Jun 30, 12:30*pm, Andy > wrote:
>> Where is Orange Julius?!!
>>
>> After some talk of chocolate limeaid and orangeaid in the "What does

Summ
> er
>> taste like" thread, I began thinking about what would I drink that I
>> wouldn't make at home? And then it hit me...
>>
>> Orange Julius
>>
>> I didn't remember liking it somehow but earlier today it sounded more
>> appealing than water. So, I visit their website and check locations and
>> there's one at the mall not two miles away.
>>
>> I rang them up and finally a kid answers "Orange Julius/Dairy Queen".

???

>> Anyway... the conversation went like this:
>>
>> "Where are you located in the mall?"
>>
>> "We're directly across from us there's a 'New York Boutique'."
>>
>> What the heck? I almost asked him where that was located.
>>
>> "Is it close to the Sears end or the Boscovs end of the mall?"
>>
>> "Uhm, hold on..." long wait, "it's by the Sears."
>>
>> "OK, on the first or second floor?"
>>
>> "Uhm... ...first floor?!"
>>
>> "Thanks." <CLICK>
>>
>> After that, my interest in an Orange Julius jumped out the window. I
>> should've followed it out of disbelief! I came to my rescue by reminding
>> myself that I didn't really like Orange Julius.
>>
>> Trying to figure out the kids ineptness, I pictured some poor alien from
>> outer space had just been transported into the store by mistake next to

> he
>> phone just as it was ringing and it was really trying to be helpful. I
>> hoped he scurried off unnoticed to do something useful, like taking over
>> the planet!!!

> We got a damned good laugh out of this post. My wife was reading it
> with me, and the line, "I didn't remember liking it somehow but
> earlier today it sounded more appealing than water," cracked us both
> up. Then we got to, "I came to my rescue by reminding myself that I
> didn't really like Orange Julius." We both laughed for a while.
> Those are very Brautiganesque lines. You should go to your public
> Library and check out "So the Wind Won't Blow It All Away."
>>
>> Andy

> --Bryan

Bryan,

I actually happen to have a newfangled futuristic barcode micro library
card on my keychain. It's so cute! I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks!

They still have one foot stuck in the 20th century, as their book
collection is not web searchable. It's a small library.

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Merryb wrote:

> Here ya go- the recipe I use calls for a quarter cup of sugar...
> 6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
> 1 cup milk
> 1 cup water
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1 tsp. vanilla extract
> 8-9 ice cubes
>
> 1. Combine all ingredients except ice cubes in blender.
> 2. Blend for about 1-2 minutes, adding ice cubes one at a time.

Here's the recipe for what Alton Brown calls an "Orange Delicious"
(presumably to avoid copyright infringement):

Ingredients
8 1/2 ounces freshly squeezed orange juice, divided
1/2 orange, zest finely grated
1/2 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
Pour 6 1/2 ounces of the orange juice into an ice cube tray and freeze until
solid, approximately 2 hours. Store the remaining 2 ounces of juice and the
zest in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.

In the carafe of a blender combine the frozen juice cubes, reserved orange
juice and zest, milk, powdered sugar and vanilla, and blend until smooth and
slushy, 30 to 45 seconds. Serve immediately.

I think because of the freshly-squeezed juice and the orange zest, his
recipe would have a stronger orange flavor than the recipe you gave -- but
whether you *like* that is a matter of taste.

I'm wondering about the powdered sugar. It's got cornstarch in it, and I
wonder whether that's intended to thicken the final product. If so, I might
try using a mixture of granulated sugar and pectin instead. Starbucks uses
pectin to give a thicker texture to their Frappuccino® drinks, and it might
work in this application as well. If you're at Sqwertz's house, maybe you
could see if guar gum also works for that. :-) Or you could do what Orange
Julius reportedly does and use egg whites to thicken it.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Merryb wrote:
>
>> Here ya go- the recipe I use calls for a quarter cup of sugar...
>> 6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
>> 1 cup milk
>> 1 cup water
>> 1/2 cup sugar
>> 1 tsp. vanilla extract
>> 8-9 ice cubes
>>
>> 1. Combine all ingredients except ice cubes in blender.
>> 2. Blend for about 1-2 minutes, adding ice cubes one at a time.

> Here's the recipe for what Alton Brown calls an "Orange Delicious"
> (presumably to avoid copyright infringement):
>
> Ingredients
> 8 1/2 ounces freshly squeezed orange juice, divided
> 1/2 orange, zest finely grated
> 1/2 cup whole milk
> 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
>
> Directions
> Pour 6 1/2 ounces of the orange juice into an ice cube tray and freeze
> until solid, approximately 2 hours. Store the remaining 2 ounces of
> juice and the zest in an airtight container in the refrigerator until
> ready to use.
>
> In the carafe of a blender combine the frozen juice cubes, reserved
> orange juice and zest, milk, powdered sugar and vanilla, and blend until
> smooth and slushy, 30 to 45 seconds. Serve immediately.
>

> I think because of the freshly-squeezed juice and the orange zest, his
> recipe would have a stronger orange flavor than the recipe you gave --
> but whether you *like* that is a matter of taste.
>
> I'm wondering about the powdered sugar. It's got cornstarch in it, and I
> wonder whether that's intended to thicken the final product. If so, I
> might try using a mixture of granulated sugar and pectin instead.
> Starbucks uses pectin to give a thicker texture to their Frappuccino®
> drinks, and it might work in this application as well. If you're at
> Sqwertz's house, maybe you could see if guar gum also works for that.
> :-) Or you could do what Orange Julius reportedly does and use egg
> whites to thicken it.
>
> Bob

Just add a spoonful of All Whites.

(I thought Orange Julius went out of business a long time ago)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 00:35:40 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Merryb wrote:
>>
>>> Here ya go- the recipe I use calls for a quarter cup of sugar...
>>> 6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
>>> 1 cup milk
>>> 1 cup water
>>> 1/2 cup sugar
>>> 1 tsp. vanilla extract
>>> 8-9 ice cubes
>>>
>>> 1. Combine all ingredients except ice cubes in blender.
>>> 2. Blend for about 1-2 minutes, adding ice cubes one at a time.

>> Here's the recipe for what Alton Brown calls an "Orange Delicious"
>> (presumably to avoid copyright infringement):
>>
>> Ingredients
>> 8 1/2 ounces freshly squeezed orange juice, divided
>> 1/2 orange, zest finely grated
>> 1/2 cup whole milk
>> 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
>> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
>>
>> Directions
>> Pour 6 1/2 ounces of the orange juice into an ice cube tray and freeze
>> until solid, approximately 2 hours. Store the remaining 2 ounces of
>> juice and the zest in an airtight container in the refrigerator until
>> ready to use.
>>
>> In the carafe of a blender combine the frozen juice cubes, reserved
>> orange juice and zest, milk, powdered sugar and vanilla, and blend until
>> smooth and slushy, 30 to 45 seconds. Serve immediately.
>>

>> I think because of the freshly-squeezed juice and the orange zest, his
>> recipe would have a stronger orange flavor than the recipe you gave --
>> but whether you *like* that is a matter of taste.
>>
>> I'm wondering about the powdered sugar. It's got cornstarch in it, and I
>> wonder whether that's intended to thicken the final product. If so, I
>> might try using a mixture of granulated sugar and pectin instead.
>> Starbucks uses pectin to give a thicker texture to their Frappuccino®
>> drinks, and it might work in this application as well. If you're at
>> Sqwertz's house, maybe you could see if guar gum also works for that.
>> :-) Or you could do what Orange Julius reportedly does and use egg
>> whites to thicken it.
>>
>> Bob

>Just add a spoonful of All Whites.
>
>(I thought Orange Julius went out of business a long time ago)

I used to make a spot on rendition of Orange Julius... it's so long
ago that I don't remember exactly what I did - I certainly didn't
measure. Sugar was definitely *not* part of the mix. I think I used
regular cream and a whole egg. I know I used OJ from concentrate.
What I don't remember is if I reconstituted it or not, but I think it
was reconstituted.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote

> I used to make a spot on rendition of Orange Julius... it's so long
> ago that I don't remember exactly what I did - I certainly didn't
> measure. Sugar was definitely *not* part of the mix. I think I used
> regular cream and a whole egg. I know I used OJ from concentrate.
> What I don't remember is if I reconstituted it or not, but I think it
> was reconstituted.

There has to be some vanilla in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 10:46:22 -0500, Andy wrote:

> blake murphy said...
>
>> you simple-minded boob. go to the mall; they have maps. or did you expect
>> the kid to come and pick you up and drive you there?

> My feet don't serve me as well as they used to.
>
> My inquiry was to determine where to park for the shortest walk to the store.
>
> You're such a pityful, no-legged asshole!

i have two-thirds of my legs, which is more than you can say about your
brain.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Here ya go- the recipe I use calls for a quarter cup of sugar...
> 6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
> 1 cup milk
> 1 cup water
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1 tsp. vanilla extract
> 8-9 ice cubes
>
> 1. Combine all ingredients except ice cubes in blender.
> 2. Blend for about 1-2 minutes, adding ice cubes one at a time.

I have a different recipe, based on how they used to make it (back in
the days when you could order it with an extra raw egg blended in):

2/3 cup boiling water
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup ice
2 tablespoons dehydrated meringue powder
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
1 1/2 crushed ice

Boil water. Pour into ceramic or pyrex cup or bowl. Stir in sugar and
vanilla, and immediately dissolve. Once dissolved, stir in ice to
quickly chill. Stir to melt ice completely. If making in advance,
store in refrigerator until ready to use.

Combine powdered sugar and meringue powder together.

In a blender, add sweetened water, orange juice and powder blend. Puree
for 15-30 seconds, then add crushed ice and puree until smooth. Serve
in chilled glass.

Today, the meringue powder is still safe, but because the dehydration
process doesn't cook the egg, people who fear raw egg (and lawyers) also
fear meringue powder.

jt