Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Jamming

In article > ,
Dave Smith > wrote:
> That's the way I figure it. Even though it isn't my best, it's better
> than store bought,

BINGO!!

> and he isn't likely to be making any himself. I would
> prefer to use up the old stock because it does not have an indefinite
> shelf life.
>
> I am going to have to go through my old jams and throw out some of the
> old stuff. In the past I made way too much. There are some that have
> been there for more than 10 years. I'm not going to take a chance on it.
> It seems such a waste.

(snip)

What's your concern about the age of the jam, Dave? If it is still
sealed and was properly processed and stored (cool, dark place), you
shouldn't have any problems with it, even if it's been around for some
years. It will have lost quality and, likely, color may have changed
some, but as far as *wholesomeness* goes, it would be safe to eat.

*** You're not going to get botulism from it. It won't have molded if
it was sealed properly. ***

By the way, I'd toss it, too. If you've got any that's no more than,
say, four years old and you enjoyed it when you made it, don't chuck all
of it without tasting a bit ‹ it could well be worth keeping around.

Mix some chipotle pepper (chopped), onions, garlic, and vinegar with the
cherry jams and you'll have a very nice condiment for grilled meat.
Same with the peach or plum jams. Cut the sweet with vinegar and have
some very acceptable dipping sauces or glazes for chicken, egg rolls,
pork chops.

Waste not, want not. "-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ