Victor Sack

Default Vietnamese table etiquette

Recently, we ate at a Vietnamese restaurant, possibly the only truly
authentic one in Germany. Among other things, we had whole curried frog
legs, as well as whole, unpeeled giant prawns, some deep-fried, some
grilled. Only chopsticks were provided. Whole large frog legs are as
impossible to eat with chopsticks as whole chicken legs. Besides,
covered with thick curry sauce, they were rather messy, of course.
Giant prawns needed to be peeled, but were very hot indeed. We ate them
all using our fingers regardless. Was this correct? The restaurant was
full of Vietnamese who didn't appear to be surprised, but maybe they
were just polite or used to farangs' uncouth behaviour...

Victor