Posted to alt.food.barbecue
theron theron is offline

Default Gas Grills?

"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 5-Jun-2009, "Theron" > wrote:
>
>> "vex" > wrote in message
>> >I have a friend that wants to replace his gasser that died and he's
>> >looking
>> >for recommendations. His budget is $4-700, so he's open to quite a wide
>> >range of stuff. I know this is a bbq newsgroup, but I value the opinions
>> >of
>> >y'all... Not to mention it's been sort of quiet lately...
>> >
>> > --Brett
>> >

>> The problem with all "gassers" is that they don't grill hot enough.
>> Direct
>> heat from propane just isn't hot enough to char a steak. If that's not
>> important, I'd look at the Weber. I've had a Weber Silver Genesis B for
>> years with minimal problems. Replacing grates and other wear related
>> parts
>> is easy, just a trip to Home Depot. I wonder how the grates on the Costco
>>
>> stainless steel grills get replaced after several years.
>>
>> Ed

> My 'gasser' is strange. It easily reaches 700°F. It has three burners
> arranged
> left, right and center. I have a smoker, so I don't make 'Q' in the
> grill,
> but it will
> easily create the climate necessary to make 'Q'. With just one end burner
> on
> low, it will easily run in the 225°F range on the other end. Several folks
> here
> use nothing but gas cookers and they make quite acceptable 'Q'.
>
> As for steaks, mine cut at 1-1/2 inches take about 2-1/2 minutes per side
> to reach medium rare. They get a nice char on the outside.
>
> --
> Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)

700F at the grate isn't hot enough to char with the lid up, as you would
wish.
700F may be ok for grilling with the lid down, though I can't imagine
wanting to grill anything at this temp. except possibly pizza. If you grill
steak with the lid down to the point where you have a steakhouse char, as
at Ruth Chris' http://www.ruthschris.com/Menu/Steaks you will have a gray
band under the char much larger than the gray band you see here. It will be
pink only in the center.

Ed