Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Gas Grills?

I have a friend that wants to replace his gasser that died and he's looking
for recommendations. His budget is $4-700, so he's open to quite a wide
range of stuff. I know this is a bbq newsgroup, but I value the opinions of
y'all... Not to mention it's been sort of quiet lately...

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex wrote:
> I have a friend that wants to replace his gasser that died and he's
> looking for recommendations. His budget is $4-700, so he's open to
> quite a wide range of stuff. I know this is a bbq newsgroup, but I
> value the opinions of y'all... Not to mention it's been sort of quiet
> lately...

Something in the Weber lineup would be one suggestion.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex wrote:
> I have a friend that wants to replace his gasser that died and he's looking
> for recommendations. His budget is $4-700, so he's open to quite a wide
> range of stuff. I know this is a bbq newsgroup, but I value the opinions of
> y'all... Not to mention it's been sort of quiet lately...

We have a Brinkmann. We have had it for over 4 years and so far we are
quite happy with it.

After we got it a question came up while putting it together and the
company was very responsive and helpful.

If he has enough money, I'd suggest getting as many burners as possible
so that he can do some offset cooking (heating two or three burners and
putting the food on the side that does not have a flame and closing the
lid.) Using some hickory chunks wrapped in foil and offset cooking on a
gas grill, one can get some interesting results. Not Q, but a tasty
facsimile.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex wrote:
> I have a friend that wants to replace his gasser that died and he's looking
> for recommendations. His budget is $4-700, so he's open to quite a wide
> range of stuff. I know this is a bbq newsgroup, but I value the opinions of
> y'all... Not to mention it's been sort of quiet lately...

I cook outside virtually every day, since we live in the desert. Over
the years, I have found that the Sam's Club stainless grills hold up
well, do a good job and have many if not all the features of a much more
expensive grill. I am quite pleased with ours.

--
Nonny
'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties

Thomas Jefferson, 1802
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"vex" > wrote in message
>I have a friend that wants to replace his gasser that died and he's looking
>for recommendations. His budget is $4-700, so he's open to quite a wide
>range of stuff. I know this is a bbq newsgroup, but I value the opinions of
>y'all... Not to mention it's been sort of quiet lately...
>
> --Brett

The problem with all "gassers" is that they don't grill hot enough. Direct
heat from propane just isn't hot enough to char a steak. If that's not
important, I'd look at the Weber. I've had a Weber Silver Genesis B for
years with minimal problems. Replacing grates and other wear related parts
is easy, just a trip to Home Depot. I wonder how the grates on the Costco
stainless steel grills get replaced after several years.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 13:16:49 -0700, "vex" > wrote:

>I have a friend that wants to replace his gasser that died and he's looking
>for recommendations. His budget is $4-700, so he's open to quite a wide
>range of stuff. I know this is a bbq newsgroup, but I value the opinions of
>y'all... Not to mention it's been sort of quiet lately...
>

>--Brett

I have one of the cheaper Weber gas grills. Stainless steel, two
burners and no side burners. The sucker has an easy ignition system,
and while it's getting rusted now and the inside is peeling, I *am*
just off the salt water and I've had it for 4 or 5 years.

I really like it, as gas grills go.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:
> "vex" > wrote in message
>> I have a friend that wants to replace his gasser that died and he's looking
>> for recommendations. His budget is $4-700, so he's open to quite a wide
>> range of stuff. I know this is a bbq newsgroup, but I value the opinions of
>> y'all... Not to mention it's been sort of quiet lately...
>>
>> --Brett
>>

> The problem with all "gassers" is that they don't grill hot enough. Direct
> heat from propane just isn't hot enough to char a steak. If that's not
> important, I'd look at the Weber. I've had a Weber Silver Genesis B for
> years with minimal problems. Replacing grates and other wear related parts
> is easy, just a trip to Home Depot. I wonder how the grates on the Costco
> stainless steel grills get replaced after several years.
>
> Ed

For a real solution to that high heat problem look at:

http://bbq.about.com/b/2008/02/19/ch...il-quantum.htm

I've used one of these at a buddy's place and they will reliably get the
grill temp up to 700+ deg. F, under most conditions.

Lowes has a nifty 2 burner one now selling for about $270 - they can't
keep them in stock.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...909&lpage=none

But the build quality on a Weber is always outstanding and they last
forever. A 3 burner model for about $500 should do the trick and the
flavorizer bars are an easy replacement if you're not much on cleaning
religiously. There isn't anything Weber makes that isn't the best. I
have a tiny single burner picnic model that never fails me - great
company, great products.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 5-Jun-2009, "vex" > wrote:

> I have a friend that wants to replace his gasser that died and he's
> looking
> for recommendations. His budget is $4-700, so he's open to quite a wide
> range of stuff. I know this is a bbq newsgroup, but I value the opinions
> of
> y'all... Not to mention it's been sort of quiet lately...

This group invites discussion of any kind of outdoor cooking related
to BBQ. Not all food is enhanced by low and slow cooking and some
downright demands the high heat of a grill. I don't think anyone wants
to bar steak from a group that enjoys outdoor gatherings of friends
and family. And I for one, sure don't want to prepare steak in my
smoker.

That said, I'm about to through out my Home Despot "Charmglow"
SS gas grill that was the deal of the day one time. It's a POS to
clean and the lid open props (stops) failed about the third time I
used it. I'm going to buy a Weber with cast iron grates.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 5-Jun-2009, "Theron" > wrote:

> "vex" > wrote in message
> >I have a friend that wants to replace his gasser that died and he's
> >looking
> >for recommendations. His budget is $4-700, so he's open to quite a wide
> >range of stuff. I know this is a bbq newsgroup, but I value the opinions
> >of
> >y'all... Not to mention it's been sort of quiet lately...
> >
> > --Brett
> >

> The problem with all "gassers" is that they don't grill hot enough.
> Direct
> heat from propane just isn't hot enough to char a steak. If that's not
> important, I'd look at the Weber. I've had a Weber Silver Genesis B for
> years with minimal problems. Replacing grates and other wear related
> parts
> is easy, just a trip to Home Depot. I wonder how the grates on the Costco
>
> stainless steel grills get replaced after several years.
>
> Ed

My 'gasser' is strange. It easily reaches 700°F. It has three burners
arranged
left, right and center. I have a smoker, so I don't make 'Q' in the grill,
but it will
easily create the climate necessary to make 'Q'. With just one end burner
on
low, it will easily run in the 225°F range on the other end. Several folks
here
use nothing but gas cookers and they make quite acceptable 'Q'.

As for steaks, mine cut at 1-1/2 inches take about 2-1/2 minutes per side
to reach medium rare. They get a nice char on the outside.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 5-Jun-2009, "Theron" > wrote:
>
>> "vex" > wrote in message
>> >I have a friend that wants to replace his gasser that died and he's
>> >looking
>> >for recommendations. His budget is $4-700, so he's open to quite a wide
>> >range of stuff. I know this is a bbq newsgroup, but I value the opinions
>> >of
>> >y'all... Not to mention it's been sort of quiet lately...
>> >
>> > --Brett
>> >

>> The problem with all "gassers" is that they don't grill hot enough.
>> Direct
>> heat from propane just isn't hot enough to char a steak. If that's not
>> important, I'd look at the Weber. I've had a Weber Silver Genesis B for
>> years with minimal problems. Replacing grates and other wear related
>> parts
>> is easy, just a trip to Home Depot. I wonder how the grates on the Costco
>>
>> stainless steel grills get replaced after several years.
>>
>> Ed

> My 'gasser' is strange. It easily reaches 700°F. It has three burners
> arranged
> left, right and center. I have a smoker, so I don't make 'Q' in the
> grill,
> but it will
> easily create the climate necessary to make 'Q'. With just one end burner
> on
> low, it will easily run in the 225°F range on the other end. Several folks
> here
> use nothing but gas cookers and they make quite acceptable 'Q'.
>
> As for steaks, mine cut at 1-1/2 inches take about 2-1/2 minutes per side
> to reach medium rare. They get a nice char on the outside.
>
> --
> Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
>
>700F at the grate isn't hot enough to char with the lid up, as it should
>be. 700F may be ok for grilling with the lid down, though I can't imagine
>wanting to grill anything at this temp. except possibly pizza. If you grill
>steak with the lid down to the point where you have a steakhouse char, as
>at Ruth Chris' http://www.ruthschris.com/Menu/Steaks you will have a gray
>band under the char much larger than the gray band you see here. It will be
>pink only in the center.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 5-Jun-2009, "Theron" > wrote:
>
>> "vex" > wrote in message
>> >I have a friend that wants to replace his gasser that died and he's
>> >looking
>> >for recommendations. His budget is $4-700, so he's open to quite a wide
>> >range of stuff. I know this is a bbq newsgroup, but I value the opinions
>> >of
>> >y'all... Not to mention it's been sort of quiet lately...
>> >
>> > --Brett
>> >

>> The problem with all "gassers" is that they don't grill hot enough.
>> Direct
>> heat from propane just isn't hot enough to char a steak. If that's not
>> important, I'd look at the Weber. I've had a Weber Silver Genesis B for
>> years with minimal problems. Replacing grates and other wear related
>> parts
>> is easy, just a trip to Home Depot. I wonder how the grates on the Costco
>>
>> stainless steel grills get replaced after several years.
>>
>> Ed

> My 'gasser' is strange. It easily reaches 700°F. It has three burners
> arranged
> left, right and center. I have a smoker, so I don't make 'Q' in the
> grill,
> but it will
> easily create the climate necessary to make 'Q'. With just one end burner
> on
> low, it will easily run in the 225°F range on the other end. Several folks
> here
> use nothing but gas cookers and they make quite acceptable 'Q'.
>
> As for steaks, mine cut at 1-1/2 inches take about 2-1/2 minutes per side
> to reach medium rare. They get a nice char on the outside.
>
> --
> Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)

700F at the grate isn't hot enough to char with the lid up, as you would
wish.
700F may be ok for grilling with the lid down, though I can't imagine
wanting to grill anything at this temp. except possibly pizza. If you grill
steak with the lid down to the point where you have a steakhouse char, as
at Ruth Chris' http://www.ruthschris.com/Menu/Steaks you will have a gray
band under the char much larger than the gray band you see here. It will be
pink only in the center.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:
> "Brick" > wrote in message
> ster.com...

>>> The problem with all "gassers" is that they don't grill hot enough.
>>> Direct
>>> heat from propane just isn't hot enough to char a steak. If that's not
>>> important, I'd look at the Weber. I've had a Weber Silver Genesis B for
>>> years with minimal problems. Replacing grates and other wear related
>>> parts
>>> is easy, just a trip to Home Depot. I wonder how the grates on the Costco
>>>
>>> stainless steel grills get replaced after several years.
>>>
>>> Ed

>> My 'gasser' is strange. It easily reaches 700°F. It has three burners
>> arranged
>> left, right and center. I have a smoker, so I don't make 'Q' in the
>> grill,
>> but it will
>> easily create the climate necessary to make 'Q'. With just one end burner
>> on
>> low, it will easily run in the 225°F range on the other end. Several folks
>> here
>> use nothing but gas cookers and they make quite acceptable 'Q'.
>>
>> As for steaks, mine cut at 1-1/2 inches take about 2-1/2 minutes per side
>> to reach medium rare. They get a nice char on the outside.
>>
>> --
>> Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)

> 700F at the grate isn't hot enough to char with the lid up, as you would
> wish.
> 700F may be ok for grilling with the lid down, though I can't imagine
> wanting to grill anything at this temp. except possibly pizza. If you grill
> steak with the lid down to the point where you have a steakhouse char, as
> at Ruth Chris' http://www.ruthschris.com/Menu/Steaks you will have a gray
> band under the char much larger than the gray band you see here. It will be
> pink only in the center.
>
> Ed

The best way to get a perfect char, as you call a Steakhouse Char and I
refer to as Char Rare, you can use an infrared heat element and a V
grate. My own is home built, but essentially consists of two side by
side IR emitters from Barbeques Galore, connected with a home built
manifold and venturis to a ball valve. When lit, they emit little
visible flame, but the heat is almost instant and you can't hold a hand
3' above the elements. The steaks, burgers or anything else I want to
char sit on a SS grate of V-shaped pieces, with the openings upward.
I've seen this in some grills before, and trust me, it works swell. The
grates cover about 50% of the surface, collecting juices that evaporate
under the meat. The rest do fall through onto the ceramic emitter's
surfaces. The interesting part is that there is very little flame,
since the heat is so intense the juices seem to evaporate and there's
not the flare up of burning fat like you have in even the best
traditional gas grills.

My theory is that the fat and juice falling toward the burner surface
don't "burn" per se, because there's little or no oxygen in the close
area. There is a lot of white smoke, however, but it's not the black,
carbon-depositing smoke you get with a flame-up on a regular grill.

1" steaks cooked from room temperature take exactly 2 minutes per side.
More and they become medium and less leaves the inside too raw for my
taste.

FWIW, a relative has a NG fired IR grill he paid over $1200 for 12 years
ago. It has the same V-shaped grate system as my little one, but only
one IR emitter, set far lower (away from the grate) than mine. It's
much more like a traditional grill, complete with flare-ups on occasion,
but his V-shaped grates do work well and the flare ups are about as few
and far between as I have on my regular gas grill using ceramic flame
tamers.

I've noticed that IR is becoming increasingly popular in grills,
including even some at Sam's Club.

--
Nonny
'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties
than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to
control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by
deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks
will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up
homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.’

Thomas Jefferson, 1802
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 15:10:28 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>On 5-Jun-2009, "vex" > wrote:
>
>> I have a friend that wants to replace his gasser that died and he's
>> looking
>> for recommendations. His budget is $4-700, so he's open to quite a wide
>> range of stuff. I know this is a bbq newsgroup, but I value the opinions
>> of
>> y'all... Not to mention it's been sort of quiet lately...

>This group invites discussion of any kind of outdoor cooking related
>to BBQ. Not all food is enhanced by low and slow cooking and some
>downright demands the high heat of a grill. I don't think anyone wants
>to bar steak from a group that enjoys outdoor gatherings of friends
>and family. And I for one, sure don't want to prepare steak in my
>smoker.
>
>That said, I'm about to through out my Home Despot "Charmglow"
>SS gas grill that was the deal of the day one time. It's a POS to
>clean and the lid open props (stops) failed about the third time I
>used it. I'm going to buy a Weber with cast iron grates.

Going to buy a Weber gas grill? I'd be interested in knowing which
one.

My next purchase will be a Weber kettle, maybe one of the ones with a
table built up around it. But not soon, as this place gets major winds
and the kettle would be too likely to be blown over here.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> [...]

> area. There is a lot of white smoke, however, but it's not the black,
> carbon-depositing smoke you get with a flame-up on a regular grill.
>
> 1" steaks cooked from room temperature take exactly 2 minutes per side.
> More and they become medium and less leaves the inside too raw for my
> taste.
>
> FWIW, a relative has a NG fired IR grill he paid over $1200 for 12 years
> ago. It has the same V-shaped grate system as my little one, but only one
> IR emitter, set far lower (away from the grate) than mine. It's much more
> like a traditional grill, complete with flare-ups on occasion, but his
> V-shaped grates do work well and the flare ups are about as few and far
> between as I have on my regular gas grill using ceramic flame tamers.
>
> I've noticed that IR is becoming increasingly popular in grills, including

Nonny, can you take a digital photo of your infrared setup and post it here?
I'd sure like to see what it looks like. It would be interesting to know the
temp. at the grate level. As high as 1500F? You're indirectly addressing my
question about infrared grills. Will any commercial moderately priced
infrared grill char a steak as your grill does?

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:
> [...]

>> IR emitter, set far lower (away from the grate) than mine. It's much more
>> like a traditional grill, complete with flare-ups on occasion, but his
>> V-shaped grates do work well and the flare ups are about as few and far
>> between as I have on my regular gas grill using ceramic flame tamers.
>>
>> I've noticed that IR is becoming increasingly popular in grills, including
>> even some at Sam's Club.
>>
>> --
>> Nonny
>>

> Nonny, can you take a digital photo of your infrared setup and post it here?
> I'd sure like to see what it looks like. It would be interesting to know the
> temp. at the grate level. As high as 1500F? You're indirectly addressing my
> question about infrared grills. Will any commercial moderately priced
> infrared grill char a steak as your grill does?

http://s483.photobucket.com/albums/rr196/Nonnymus01/ is what I think
the URL to be for some photos I have of it and a few other things I've
built. There are 3 views of it and I apologize if you have to dig a
little bit to locate them.

Dunno the temp of the grill, but at 3' you can't hold your hand over it.
The one I started with was by Barbeques Galore as a portable IR grill
running on LP.

--
Nonny
'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties
than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to
control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by
deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks
will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up
homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.’

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Gas Grills [email protected] General Cooking 13 31-05-2007 02:27 AM
Gas Grills. mike Barbecue 1 14-01-2006 01:20 PM
Infrared BBQ Grills vs traditional grills Bill Schulz Cooking Equipment 5 10-11-2003 07:02 PM
Infrared BBQ Grills vs traditional grills Bill Schulz Barbecue 3 08-11-2003 10:25 PM
Grills are the best Kaimana Rocker General Cooking 1 08-10-2003 03:17 AM