Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default Gas Grills?

On 5-Jun-2009, "Theron" > wrote:

> "vex" > wrote in message
> >I have a friend that wants to replace his gasser that died and he's
> >looking
> >for recommendations. His budget is $4-700, so he's open to quite a wide
> >range of stuff. I know this is a bbq newsgroup, but I value the opinions
> >of
> >y'all... Not to mention it's been sort of quiet lately...
> >
> > --Brett
> >

> The problem with all "gassers" is that they don't grill hot enough.
> Direct
> heat from propane just isn't hot enough to char a steak. If that's not
> important, I'd look at the Weber. I've had a Weber Silver Genesis B for
> years with minimal problems. Replacing grates and other wear related
> parts
> is easy, just a trip to Home Depot. I wonder how the grates on the Costco
>
> stainless steel grills get replaced after several years.
>
> Ed

My 'gasser' is strange. It easily reaches 700°F. It has three burners
arranged
left, right and center. I have a smoker, so I don't make 'Q' in the grill,
but it will
easily create the climate necessary to make 'Q'. With just one end burner
on
low, it will easily run in the 225°F range on the other end. Several folks
here
use nothing but gas cookers and they make quite acceptable 'Q'.

As for steaks, mine cut at 1-1/2 inches take about 2-1/2 minutes per side
to reach medium rare. They get a nice char on the outside.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)