Posted to rec.food.cooking
blake murphy[_2_] blake murphy[_2_] is offline

Default More Sticker Shock

On Sun, 31 May 2009 07:50:32 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> George > wrote:
>
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>>> My cut off point is where they reduce the size of the package and keep
>>> the old price.

>> Me too, don't insult me with weasel tactics. I can comprehend that costs
>> go up, just leave the 1 lb bag or quart jar or gallon of ice cream the
>> same and increase the price as required.

> But that's part of it, George. If a person's 'set point' has been
> reached at $4.99 for a half gallon of whatever and they won't pay more
> than that, they can still have the same *satisfaction-by-food* with a
> little bit less and still not pay more than $4.99. Now, at what point
> does such a person feel the rip-off? I don't know. And there must be
> more of 'them' than you because the manufacturers get by with it.

i think you can be pretty certain that they have researched these issues
and have chosen the alternative that makes them the most money. these
things are not left to chance.

but it is possible they researched it 20 years ago and never looked at it
again, though.

your pal,
blake