Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default More Sticker Shock

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
>> last couple of times I bought pre-packaged bacon that it had gone from
>> 16 ozs. to 12, but the price seemed to have remained the same. I only
>> noticed lately, b/c Albertson's started carrying Neuske's bacon, which
>> is some seriously good damned bacon, and was looking a little more
>> closely at the package. I usually get Oscar Mayer or, when I'm
>> shopping at Stater Bros., their house brand and the OM is 12 ozs.,
>> too. I didn't look, but have they all gone to 12 ozs.?
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

> Not here in CT. I do recall seeing some 12 oz. a few years ago, but all
> are 16 oz. here, including OM. Maybe it is a regional thing

I don't buy bacon very often but I do remember seeing 12 oz packages, it was
right along side the 1 lb packages, probably wasn't a big seller because
most every brand of bacon does have a 1/2 lb package. And I know the bacon
producers sell commercial size packages of sliced bacon too; 2, 3, and even
5 lb. Large commissarys use slab bacon (it costs less than sliced), it's
sliced frozen on a deli meat slicer... cooked in an oven in large roasting
pans with the bacon pressed under a screen, or in a deep fryer pressed
between two fry baskets (many restaurants prefer the deep fryer method, it's
quicker and safer). Restaurants that do a big breakfast trade par-cook
bacon and sausages in advance, placed in layers between waxed paper and
refrigerated, then it only takes like three minutes on the griddle to finish
cooking along with the egg orders. Next you cook bacon at home cook the
entire package but par-cook and keep what you don't consume in the freezer,
it will have a longer shelf life, will be at the ready, and will make
cooking breakfast much easier... of course this won't work for those who
once bacon is cooked will eat it all, which is probably most. LOL