Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Mike[_13_] Mike[_13_] is offline

Default Sour sourdough bread.

>>Hi everyone,
>>
>>I use liquid sour (50/50 flour to water) to make my white bread. The sour
>>itself tastes as sour as hell, the dough is sour but the taste of the
>>baked
>>bread is very neutral, very similar to ordinary commercial yeasted bread.
>>
>>I use liquid sour since the stiff one is less sour than the liquid one,
>>hardly any acid in it.
>>
>>At the same time some artesian bakery in my locality produce beautiful
>>sourdough breads with various degrees of sourness - from mild to a very
>>strong , San Francisco type. Any ideas about what is happening to my
>>bread?
>>I have tryed a few different starters but to no avail.
>>
>>Regards Michael

Hi everyone, the bread lovers and the grammar purists,

,

1.. 'If the starter is "very" sour, it could be too old and lacks active
organisms. Why it still rises would be another question in a better
known context."
I think that the yeast bacteria and the lactobacilli are alive and plentiful
since I can always rebuild the sour, bubbly and very acidy using a portion
of old sour as a starter.

2 - Ratio of starter/final dough plays a role.
Fermentation temperature.
Fermentation length
flour type - here probably white wheat flour with low ash content
All this would be very much determined by the starter growing procedure
used.

I have tried various starter/dough ratios, up to 50% starter flour/ flour
with similar and disappointing results.

Bulk fermentation time 5-6 hours at room temperature (22 - 24 C)

3 The recipe:

White flour (13 % gluten content) - 100%

Sour (50/50 flour to water) - 2%

Water - 60 %

Bulk fermentation - 6 h

Proofing - 2.5 h

Baking 230 C for 40 min

I am getting pretty good results with my rye bread using stiff rye sour but
I fail to make wholly white bread using totally white sour. Is it possible
at all in anyone's experience?

Regards

Mike