Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy[_15_] Andy[_15_] is offline

Default Induction hobs? Worth the extra money?

Ed Pawlowski said...

> "Nathalie Chiva" <Nathaliedotchivaatgmail.remove.com> wrote in message
>> The only con is that you have
>> to have induction-compatible pots and pans, but that to me is
>> negligible - all the good traditional cast-iron pots work, and the
>> frying pans you have to change every 5 years or so anyway, so why not
>> change them now.

> I'm late. Some of our pans go back 40+ years. Do I still have to replace
> them?
>
> My copper is no good on induction either, but they cook so well, I'd not
> want to replace them either.

Piggybacking on Ed's post,

I'm late too

I read up some on induction and something that interested me was the new
generation of induction cooktops are smart enough to detect the shape of pans
anywhere on the stove and just turn on those elements. Good thinking, it's
about time!

It also mentioned gas is only 50% efficient, while induction is 85-90%
efficient. I'll take that with a grain of salt for now.

My 1960s cooktop needs a 21st century replacement!

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.