Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Induction hobs? Worth the extra money?

Hi Everyone,
I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm in a
dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least £500 more than the ceramic hobs.
I us a gas hob at the moment, but want to switch to electric due the the
ease of cleaning. Does anyone have an induction hob, and what do you think
of them? Worth the extra money? DH who does no cooking at all, can't
understand why I don't pick the cheapest appliances on the market, but this
project is costing an awful lot of money and I want to get good appliances
that will last and will be a joy to use!
Thanks

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sarah" > wrote

> I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm in
> a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least £500 more than the ceramic
> hobs.

What is a 'hob'?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

cshenk wrote:

> "Sarah" > wrote
>
> > I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm in
> > a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least £500 more than the ceramic
> > hobs.

> What is a 'hob'?

From the OP's original context, I'd venture to guess a 'hob' in this
case would be a counter cooktop, perhaps. Whether built- or plug-in, I
don't know. Doesn't induction mean one has to use cookware that's
'magnetic' (er, I mean magnets will stick to the cookware)?

Sky, who really doesn't have a clue ;D

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote on Sat, 23 May 2009 12:43:22 -0400:

>> I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new
>> kitchen. I'm in a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least
>> £500 more than the ceramic hobs.

>What is a 'hob'?

I'd have thought that a long time reader of this International ng would
have noticed that "hob" is the British word for cook top. Strangely
enough, even if I did grow up in Britain, I never remember using "hob".
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Sarah" > wrote
>
>> I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm
>> in a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least £500 more than the
>> ceramic hobs.

> What is a 'hob'?

Brit for burner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in
on May Sat 2009 am

> "Sarah" > wrote
>
>> I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen.
>> I'm in a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least £500 more than
>> the ceramic hobs.

> What is a 'hob'?

An induction hob is as fast as gas to reach temp...gives a more even heat across the bottom of the
pot/pan than either gas or ceramic and is easier to clean than a ceramic burner/hob. Plus it is
cheaper on your electric bill in the long run.

The burner cools down faster than ceramic after shutting it off as the actual burner produces no
heat and is only heated by reflected heat back from the pot/pan.

Ceramics are affully hard to get to a low simmer as well as hard to clean....I'd go for the induction.

Don't forget you need ferric based pots/pans to use induction...if a magnet won't stick to your
pan...it won't heat. (You can readily get pans that work with a non-stick coating.)

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sarah" > wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,
> I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm in
> a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least £500 more than the ceramic
> hobs. I us a gas hob at the moment, but want to switch to electric due the
> the ease of cleaning. Does anyone have an induction hob, and what do you
> think of them? Worth the extra money? DH who does no cooking at all, can't
> understand why I don't pick the cheapest appliances on the market, but
> this project is costing an awful lot of money and I want to get good
> appliances that will last and will be a joy to use!
> Thanks
>
> Sarah

Induction hobs are supposed to be very good, but you do need the proper
cookware for them; must be magnetic. Personally, I'd never switch from gas
to electric, but I've happily done the opposite. Any of the flat top ranges
are a bit fussier about having flat cookware.

Do they make a combo units of standard element and induction?

Gas burners also works in the case of power failures if that is a concern.
Usually not a big deal, but we were out for 14 hours a couple of weeks ago
and still managed to easily cook a nice meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote
cshenk wrote:
"Sarah" > wrote

>> > I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm
>> > in
>> > a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least £500 more than the
>> > ceramic
>> > hobs.

>> What is a 'hob'?

>From the OP's original context, I'd venture to guess a 'hob' in this
>case would be a counter cooktop, perhaps. Whether built- or plug-in, I
>don't know. Doesn't induction mean one has to use cookware that's
>'magnetic' (er, I mean magnets will stick to the cookware)?

I wasnt sure. Induction to me means a glass top surface but in other spots
she seems to mean convection oven?

Oh well, she'll have to say. And the price is a bit much for a mere
stovetop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> "Sarah" > wrote
>
>> I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm in
>> a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least £500 more than the ceramic
>> hobs.

> What is a 'hob'?

burners?? the individual burners to a cooking appliance, I imagine?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Sky" > wrote
> cshenk wrote:
> "Sarah" > wrote

>>> What is a 'hob'?

>>From the OP's original context, I'd venture to guess a 'hob' in this
>>case would be a counter cooktop, perhaps. Whether built- or plug-in, I
>>don't know. Doesn't induction mean one has to use cookware that's
>>'magnetic' (er, I mean magnets will stick to the cookware)?

> I wasnt sure. Induction to me means a glass top surface but in other
> spots she seems to mean convection oven?
>
> Oh well, she'll have to say. And the price is a bit much for a mere
> stovetop.

Yes a stove top.

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> Induction hobs are supposed to be very good, but you do need the proper
> cookware for them; must be magnetic. Personally, I'd never switch from
> gas to electric, but I've happily done the opposite. Any of the flat top
> ranges are a bit fussier about having flat cookware.
>
> Do they make a combo units of standard element and induction?
>
> Gas burners also works in the case of power failures if that is a concern.
> Usually not a big deal, but we were out for 14 hours a couple of weeks ago
> and still managed to easily cook a nice meal.

That is a good point! We don't have many power cuts, but I've never had all
my eggs in one basket, so to speak. The gas burners on my 'stove top' as you
all seem to call them, are one of the simpler designs (a Neff gas appliance)
but still require taking to pieces every time I cook to clean it down. The
electric designs appealed to me with their wipe down surfaces, but the
ceramic versus induction is what's cause for investigation. The ceramic
retail from about £250, where as the induction appear to start at at least
£500 and go up to £1000 for top of the range Neff. Is it really that much
better? Or am I paying for new technology that isn't required?

Thanks

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sarah wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen.
> I'm in a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least £500 more than
> the ceramic hobs. I us a gas hob at the moment, but want to switch
> electric due the the ease of cleaning. Does anyone have an induction
> hob, and what do you think of them? Worth the extra money? DH who
> does no cooking at all, can't understand why I don't pick the
> cheapest appliances on the market, but this project is costing an
> awful lot of money and I want to get good appliances that will last
> and will be a joy to use! Thanks
>
> Sarah

Sarah, I think you'll receive good advice by posting your question on
the uk.food+drink.misc newsgroup. They'll have much more experience
with induction hobs than people in the US.

BTW - to another poster's question, the term "hob" has been around as
long as I can remember. I can remember my grandmother putting things
"on the hob"; i.e., stove.

Dora (ex-pat)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 13:07:06 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > "Sarah" > wrote
> >
> >> I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm
> >> in a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least £500 more than the
> >> ceramic hobs.

> > What is a 'hob'?
> >

> Brit for burner

Not just Brit.
http://www.hgtv.com/kitchens/talk-li...ned/index.html

Matthew

--
Mail to this account goes to the bit bucket.
In the unlikely event you want to mail me replace usenet with my name
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dora wrote on Sat, 23 May 2009 15:26:42 -0400:

> Sarah wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>> I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new
>> kitchen. I'm in a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least
>> £500 more than the ceramic hobs. I us a gas hob at the
>> moment, but want to switch to electric due the the ease of
>> cleaning. Does anyone have an induction hob, and what do you think of
>> them? Worth the extra money? DH who does no cooking at all, can't
>> understand why I don't pick the cheapest
>> appliances on the market, but this project is costing
>> an awful lot of money and I want to get good appliances that will
>> last and will be a joy to use! Thanks
>>
>> Sarah

> Sarah, I think you'll receive good advice by posting your
> question on the uk.food+drink.misc newsgroup. They'll have
> much more experience with induction hobs than people in the
> US.

> BTW - to another poster's question, the term "hob" has been
> around as long as I can remember. I can remember my
> grandmother putting things "on the hob"; i.e., stove.

The use of the word "hob" to describe the whole heating unit or cooktop
is fairly recent. The "hob" was originally not the heater but the
supports that held the pots over a fire as the Oxford Dictionary will
verify.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 12:43:22 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

>"Sarah" > wrote
>
>> I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm in
>> a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least £500 more than the ceramic
>> hobs.

>What is a 'hob'?

a burner

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 12:26*pm, "Dora" > wrote:

> Sarah, I think you'll receive good advice by posting your question on
> the uk.food+drink.misc newsgroup. * They'll have much more experience
> with induction hobs than people in the US.

Based only on the stuff that gets crossposted I wouldn't trust them.
Try rec.food.equipment instead. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 12:26 pm, "Dora" > wrote:

> Sarah, I think you'll receive good advice by posting your question on
> the uk.food+drink.misc newsgroup. They'll have much more experience
> with induction hobs than people in the US.

Based only on the stuff that gets crossposted I wouldn't trust them.

The regulars there are decent folk! The x-posts have come from trolls!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Dora wrote on Sat, 23 May 2009 15:26:42 -0400:
>
>> Sarah wrote:
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>> I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new
>>> kitchen. I'm in a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least
>>> £500 more than the ceramic hobs. I us a gas hob at the
>>> moment, but want to switch to electric due the the ease of
>>> cleaning. Does anyone have an induction hob, and what do you think
>>> of them? Worth the extra money? DH who does no cooking at all,
>>> can't
>>> understand why I don't pick the cheapest
>>> appliances on the market, but this project is costing
>>> an awful lot of money and I want to get good appliances that will
>>> last and will be a joy to use! Thanks
>>>
>>> Sarah

>> Sarah, I think you'll receive good advice by posting your
>> question on the uk.food+drink.misc newsgroup. They'll have
>> much more experience with induction hobs than people in the
>> US.

>> BTW - to another poster's question, the term "hob" has been
>> around as long as I can remember. I can remember my
>> grandmother putting things "on the hob"; i.e., stove.

> The use of the word "hob" to describe the whole heating unit or
> cooktop is fairly recent. The "hob" was originally not the heater
> but
> the supports that held the pots over a fire as the Oxford Dictionary
> will verify.

Could be. All I remember is that she had a behemoth in the kitchen -
coal fire on one side of the monster and the range on the other.
Things were taken off and put back on "the hob".
She even had a spit in front of the fire, on which she cooked the
turkeys. I'm talking "w a y b a c k" there, since I am now
two hundred and seventyfive years old.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 17:25:56 +0100, "Sarah"
> wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm in a
>dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least £500 more than the ceramic hobs.
>I us a gas hob at the moment, but want to switch to electric due the the
>ease of cleaning. Does anyone have an induction hob, and what do you think
>of them? Worth the extra money? DH who does no cooking at all, can't
>understand why I don't pick the cheapest appliances on the market, but this
>project is costing an awful lot of money and I want to get good appliances
>that will last and will be a joy to use!
>Thanks
>
>Sarah

I'll be short: I've been cooking on induction for the last 11 years.
If I have a choice, I'll never get back to everything else. It has all
the pros of gas (fast reaction, high power), of electricity
(simmering, safeness) and some more (plate stops when there's nothing
on it, extremely easy to clean because nothing ever burns on it, never
gets hot enough to be really dangerous). The only con is that you have
to have induction-compatible pots and pans, but that to me is
negligible - all the good traditional cast-iron pots work, and the
frying pans you have to change every 5 years or so anyway, so why not
change them now.

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2009 11:42:11 +0200, Nathalie Chiva
<Nathaliedotchivaatgmail.remove.com> wrote:

> all the good traditional cast-iron pots work, and the
> frying pans you have to change every 5 years or so anyway, so why not
> change them now.

Do you have to change your frying pans every five years? What are you
doing to them?

My longest serving frying pan - Le Creuset cast iron, non-stick
interior - was bought in the January sales 1988 and it still going
strong. A friend favours Tefal, I've known her and her pans for just
over 10 years and all look as good now as then.

And thinking of her brings me back to induction hobs since it's only
there that I cook on them with any regularity. I'd still rather have
gas, but of all the electric methods induction is by far the best for
all the reasons that you give.

Matthew
--
Mail to this account goes to the bit bucket.
In the unlikely event you want to mail me replace usenet with my name
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nathalie Chiva" <Nathaliedotchivaatgmail.remove.com> wrote in message
> The only con is that you have
> to have induction-compatible pots and pans, but that to me is
> negligible - all the good traditional cast-iron pots work, and the
> frying pans you have to change every 5 years or so anyway, so why not
> change them now.

I'm late. Some of our pans go back 40+ years. Do I still have to replace
them?

My copper is no good on induction either, but they cook so well, I'd not
want to replace them either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski said...

> "Nathalie Chiva" <Nathaliedotchivaatgmail.remove.com> wrote in message
>> The only con is that you have
>> to have induction-compatible pots and pans, but that to me is
>> negligible - all the good traditional cast-iron pots work, and the
>> frying pans you have to change every 5 years or so anyway, so why not
>> change them now.

> I'm late. Some of our pans go back 40+ years. Do I still have to replace
> them?
>
> My copper is no good on induction either, but they cook so well, I'd not
> want to replace them either.

Piggybacking on Ed's post,

I'm late too

I read up some on induction and something that interested me was the new
generation of induction cooktops are smart enough to detect the shape of pans
anywhere on the stove and just turn on those elements. Good thinking, it's
about time!

It also mentioned gas is only 50% efficient, while induction is 85-90%
efficient. I'll take that with a grain of salt for now.

My 1960s cooktop needs a 21st century replacement!

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message
> It also mentioned gas is only 50% efficient, while induction is 85-90%
> efficient. I'll take that with a grain of salt for now.

Could be. A lot of gas heat does go up the sides of the pot while induction
makes the pot the heater so much less loss. Using the right sized pot or pan
makes it more efficient also. In winter, not a problem as the heat is still
needed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 13:11:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Sarah" > wrote in message
>> Hi Everyone,
>> I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm in
>> a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least £500 more than the ceramic
>> hobs. I us a gas hob at the moment, but want to switch to electric due the
>> the ease of cleaning. Does anyone have an induction hob, and what do you
>> think of them? Worth the extra money? DH who does no cooking at all, can't
>> understand why I don't pick the cheapest appliances on the market, but
>> this project is costing an awful lot of money and I want to get good
>> appliances that will last and will be a joy to use!
>> Thanks
>>
>> Sarah

> Induction hobs are supposed to be very good, but you do need the proper
> cookware for them; must be magnetic. Personally, I'd never switch from gas
> to electric, but I've happily done the opposite.

that was my reaction as well. i'd love to have a gas stove again.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 22:06:40 -0400, Dora wrote:

> James Silverton wrote:
>> Dora wrote on Sat, 23 May 2009 15:26:42 -0400:
>>

>>> BTW - to another poster's question, the term "hob" has been
>>> around as long as I can remember. I can remember my
>>> grandmother putting things "on the hob"; i.e., stove.

>> The use of the word "hob" to describe the whole heating unit or
>> cooktop is fairly recent. The "hob" was originally not the heater
>> but
>> the supports that held the pots over a fire as the Oxford Dictionary
>> will verify.

> Could be. All I remember is that she had a behemoth in the kitchen -
> coal fire on one side of the monster and the range on the other.
> Things were taken off and put back on "the hob".
> She even had a spit in front of the fire, on which she cooked the
> turkeys. I'm talking "w a y b a c k" there, since I am now
> two hundred and seventyfive years old.

you don't look a day over a hundred and fifty.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> I'd have thought that a long time reader of this International ng
> would have noticed that "hob" is the British word for cook top.
> Strangely enough, even if I did grow up in Britain, I never remember
> using "hob".

Well I am in UK and I call it a hob! The hob is the bit you cook with your
pans on. ie not the oven!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Matthew Malthouse wrote:
> On Sat, 23 May 2009 13:07:06 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>

>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>>> "Sarah" > wrote

>>> What is a 'hob'?
>>>

>> Brit for burner
>>

> Not just Brit.
> http://www.hgtv.com/kitchens/talk-li...ned/index.html

Nice site, Matthew.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2009 12:36:20 +0100, Matthew Malthouse
> wrote:

>On Sun, 24 May 2009 11:42:11 +0200, Nathalie Chiva
><Nathaliedotchivaatgmail.remove.com> wrote:
>
>> all the good traditional cast-iron pots work, and the
>> frying pans you have to change every 5 years or so anyway, so why not
>> change them now.

>Do you have to change your frying pans every five years? What are you
>doing to them?

I cook! I don 't like cast iron frying pans (too heavy), so I buy
medium-priced non-stick ones, and they last about 5 years.

Nathalie in Switzerland
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2009 08:05:29 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>It also mentioned gas is only 50% efficient, while induction is 85-90%
>efficient. I'll take that with a grain of salt for now.

It's been proved. Gas at 40% (not 50), "traditional" (cast iron
plates) electricity around 60%, ceramic+halogen electricity at 70%,
induction at 90%.
See he http://theinductionsite.com/how-induction-works.shtml

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nathalie Chiva said...

> On Sun, 24 May 2009 08:05:29 -0500, Andy > wrote:
>
>>It also mentioned gas is only 50% efficient, while induction is 85-90%
>>efficient. I'll take that with a grain of salt for now.

> It's been proved. Gas at 40% (not 50), "traditional" (cast iron
> plates) electricity around 60%, ceramic+halogen electricity at 70%,
> induction at 90%.
> See he http://theinductionsite.com/how-induction-works.shtml
>
> Nathalie in Switzerland

Hi, Nathalie in Switzerland!

That's good to know.

Thanks!

[Waving!]

Best,

Andy
--
What should I make for breakfast?
http://alturl.com/wo3y
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sat, 23 May 2009 22:06:40 -0400, Dora wrote:
>>
>> Could be. All I remember is that she had a behemoth in the
>> kitchen -
>> coal fire on one side of the monster and the range on the other.
>> Things were taken off and put back on "the hob".
>> She even had a spit in front of the fire, on which she cooked the
>> turkeys. I'm talking "w a y b a c k" there, since I am
>> now
>> two hundred and seventyfive years old.

> you don't look a day over a hundred and fifty.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Amazing what good cosmetics and wild living will do. ;-)
Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dora wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 May 2009 22:06:40 -0400, Dora wrote:
>>>
>>> Could be. All I remember is that she had a behemoth in the
>>> kitchen -
>>> coal fire on one side of the monster and the range on the other.
>>> Things were taken off and put back on "the hob".
>>> She even had a spit in front of the fire, on which she cooked the
>>> turkeys. I'm talking "w a y b a c k" there, since I am
>>> now
>>> two hundred and seventyfive years old.

>> you don't look a day over a hundred and fifty.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Amazing what good cosmetics and wild living will do. ;-)

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 12:25*pm, "Sarah" > wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm in a
> dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least £500 more than the ceramic hobs.
> I us a gas hob at the moment, but want to switch to electric due the the
> ease of cleaning. Does anyone have an induction hob, and what do you think
> of them? Worth the extra money? DH who does no cooking at all, can't
> understand why I don't pick the cheapest appliances on the market, but this
> project is costing an awful lot of money and I want to get good appliances
> that will last and will be a joy to use!
> Thanks
>
> Sarah

Sarah,

I have owned a induction Hob for approx. 2 years now. I must say,
it's been an experience. As a previous gas user but mostly electrical
(coils) it took some time to get use to it. Gas is a visual thing and
nice to see how high it is! If you can get over this; the Induction
is amazing. I personal like to cook high & fast (must be the Chinese
cook in me) and it work great for my style. That said, It took a
while to understand how versatile it can be; Very responsive and easy
to pick a setting which is suitable for any style of cooking (I can
melt chocolate without a double-boiler & water bath - if that the
correct term)

In addition, it will boil water in half the time of gas! (which you
need to watch as a first time owner - lol) and if you forget the water
is boiling and it runs dry, it will shut off. If you are deep frying;
same idea. You have to watch it because it's easy to over boil! The
saving grace, it won't ignite if it does.

As for costs, yeah, it's not cheap and buying new pots & pans can be
another cost you may not be prepared for. Personally, I said, bite-
the-bullet and enjoy cooking with control. You only live once and you
certainly will enjoy cooking for a long time.

My two-cents...Enjoy making your decision...

Robert
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sarah wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm
> in a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least £500 more than the
> ceramic hobs. I us a gas hob at the moment, but want to switch to
> electric due the the ease of cleaning. Does anyone have an induction
> hob, and what do you think of them? Worth the extra money? DH who does
> no cooking at all, can't understand why I don't pick the cheapest
> appliances on the market, but this project is costing an awful lot of
> money and I want to get good appliances that will last and will be a joy
> to use!
> Thanks
>
> Sarah

My range has two induction burners and two regular burners. I
really like the induction ones even though this is an old unit,
and its feebleness drives me crazy. The units available now are
much better, and I believe the units in other parts of the world
have been excellent for a long time.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 12:25 pm, "Sarah" > wrote:

[...]

Thanks Robert,

I'm 99% sold on the idea of switching to induction. If I'm having a complete
new kitchen I may as well go the whole hog and have the latest technology!
Think I would regret getting a ceramic halogen.

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Sarah wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>> I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm
>> in a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least £500 more than the
>> ceramic hobs. I us a gas hob at the moment, but want to switch to
>> electric due the the ease of cleaning. Does anyone have an induction hob,
>> and what do you think of them? Worth the extra money? DH who does no
>> cooking at all, can't understand why I don't pick the cheapest appliances
>> on the market, but this project is costing an awful lot of money and I
>> want to get good appliances that will last and will be a joy to use!
>> Thanks
>>
>> Sarah
>>

> My range has two induction burners and two regular burners. I really like
> the induction ones even though this is an old unit, and its feebleness
> drives me crazy. The units available now are much better, and I believe
> the units in other parts of the world have been excellent for a long time.
>
> --
> Jean B.

Thanks Jean, I've not heard any bad reports on induction, just that they
take a little getting used to. I think I'm going to have to go for it!

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sarah wrote:

> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Sarah wrote:
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>> I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen.
>>> I'm in a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least £500 more than
>>> the ceramic hobs. I us a gas hob at the moment, but want to switch to
>>> electric due the the ease of cleaning. Does anyone have an induction
>>> hob, and what do you think of them? Worth the extra money? DH who
>>> does no cooking at all, can't understand why I don't pick the
>>> cheapest appliances on the market, but this project is costing an
>>> awful lot of money and I want to get good appliances that will last
>>> and will be a joy to use!
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Sarah
>>>

>> My range has two induction burners and two regular burners. I really
>> like the induction ones even though this is an old unit, and its
>> feebleness drives me crazy. The units available now are much better,
>> and I believe the units in other parts of the world have been
>> excellent for a long time.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> Thanks Jean, I've not heard any bad reports on induction, just that they
> take a little getting used to. I think I'm going to have to go for it!
>
> Sarah

I guess it depends on what you are using now. Of course, you do
need to get appropriate pots and pans. (Pack a magnet in your
pocket so you can test them in the store.)

BTW, induction is especially nice in the hot months, because the
burners are not hot after you cook. I almost NEVER use the
regular burners when it is not cold out.

--
Jean B.

Induction hobs and stainless cookware zxcvbob General Cooking 34 11-12-2015 07:49 PM
New kitchen -- no more portable induction hobs! pltrgyst[_2_] General Cooking 26 24-10-2012 07:02 AM
Induction Hobs Stu Cooking Equipment 0 19-02-2008 01:50 AM
induction hobs [email protected] General Cooking 4 28-05-2007 10:58 PM
induction hobs whome General Cooking 7 23-08-2006 01:28 AM