Old 23-05-2009, 05:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Induction hobs? Worth the extra money?

Hi Everyone,
I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm in a
dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least 500 more than the ceramic hobs.
I us a gas hob at the moment, but want to switch to electric due the the
ease of cleaning. Does anyone have an induction hob, and what do you think
of them? Worth the extra money? DH who does no cooking at all, can't
understand why I don't pick the cheapest appliances on the market, but this
project is costing an awful lot of money and I want to get good appliances
that will last and will be a joy to use!
Thanks

Sarah

Old 23-05-2009, 05:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sarah" wrote

I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm in
a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least 500 more than the ceramic
hobs.

What is a 'hob'?

Old 23-05-2009, 06:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

cshenk wrote:

"Sarah" wrote

I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm in
a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least 500 more than the ceramic
hobs.

What is a 'hob'?

From the OP's original context, I'd venture to guess a 'hob' in this
case would be a counter cooktop, perhaps. Whether built- or plug-in, I
don't know. Doesn't induction mean one has to use cookware that's
'magnetic' (er, I mean magnets will stick to the cookware)?

Sky, who really doesn't have a clue ;D

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Old 23-05-2009, 06:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote on Sat, 23 May 2009 12:43:22 -0400:

I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new
kitchen. I'm in a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least
500 more than the ceramic hobs.

What is a 'hob'?

I'd have thought that a long time reader of this International ng would
have noticed that "hob" is the British word for cook top. Strangely
enough, even if I did grow up in Britain, I never remember using "hob".
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 23-05-2009, 06:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in
on May Sat 2009 am

"Sarah" wrote

I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen.
I'm in a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least 500 more than
the ceramic hobs.

What is a 'hob'?

An induction hob is as fast as gas to reach temp...gives a more even heat across the bottom of the
pot/pan than either gas or ceramic and is easier to clean than a ceramic burner/hob. Plus it is
cheaper on your electric bill in the long run.

The burner cools down faster than ceramic after shutting it off as the actual burner produces no
heat and is only heated by reflected heat back from the pot/pan.

Ceramics are affully hard to get to a low simmer as well as hard to clean....I'd go for the induction.

Don't forget you need ferric based pots/pans to use induction...if a magnet won't stick to your
pan...it won't heat. (You can readily get pans that work with a non-stick coating.)

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Old 23-05-2009, 06:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sarah" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,
I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm in
a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least 500 more than the ceramic
hobs. I us a gas hob at the moment, but want to switch to electric due the
the ease of cleaning. Does anyone have an induction hob, and what do you
think of them? Worth the extra money? DH who does no cooking at all, can't
understand why I don't pick the cheapest appliances on the market, but
this project is costing an awful lot of money and I want to get good
appliances that will last and will be a joy to use!
Thanks

Sarah

Induction hobs are supposed to be very good, but you do need the proper
cookware for them; must be magnetic. Personally, I'd never switch from gas
to electric, but I've happily done the opposite. Any of the flat top ranges
are a bit fussier about having flat cookware.

Do they make a combo units of standard element and induction?

Gas burners also works in the case of power failures if that is a concern.
Usually not a big deal, but we were out for 14 hours a couple of weeks ago
and still managed to easily cook a nice meal.

Old 23-05-2009, 06:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" wrote
cshenk wrote:
"Sarah" wrote

I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm
in
a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least 500 more than the
ceramic
hobs.

What is a 'hob'?

From the OP's original context, I'd venture to guess a 'hob' in this
case would be a counter cooktop, perhaps. Whether built- or plug-in, I
don't know. Doesn't induction mean one has to use cookware that's
'magnetic' (er, I mean magnets will stick to the cookware)?

I wasnt sure. Induction to me means a glass top surface but in other spots
she seems to mean convection oven?

Oh well, she'll have to say. And the price is a bit much for a mere
stovetop.

Old 23-05-2009, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
"Sarah" wrote

I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm in
a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least 500 more than the ceramic
hobs.

What is a 'hob'?

burners?? the individual burners to a cooking appliance, I imagine?
Old 23-05-2009, 07:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Sky" wrote
cshenk wrote:
"Sarah" wrote

I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen.
I'm in
a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least 500 more than the
ceramic
hobs.

What is a 'hob'?

From the OP's original context, I'd venture to guess a 'hob' in this
case would be a counter cooktop, perhaps. Whether built- or plug-in, I
don't know. Doesn't induction mean one has to use cookware that's
'magnetic' (er, I mean magnets will stick to the cookware)?

I wasnt sure. Induction to me means a glass top surface but in other
spots she seems to mean convection oven?

Oh well, she'll have to say. And the price is a bit much for a mere
stovetop.

Yes a stove top.

Sarah

Old 23-05-2009, 07:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Induction hobs are supposed to be very good, but you do need the proper
cookware for them; must be magnetic. Personally, I'd never switch from
gas to electric, but I've happily done the opposite. Any of the flat top
ranges are a bit fussier about having flat cookware.

Do they make a combo units of standard element and induction?

Gas burners also works in the case of power failures if that is a concern.
Usually not a big deal, but we were out for 14 hours a couple of weeks ago
and still managed to easily cook a nice meal.

That is a good point! We don't have many power cuts, but I've never had all
my eggs in one basket, so to speak. The gas burners on my 'stove top' as you
all seem to call them, are one of the simpler designs (a Neff gas appliance)
but still require taking to pieces every time I cook to clean it down. The
electric designs appealed to me with their wipe down surfaces, but the
ceramic versus induction is what's cause for investigation. The ceramic
retail from about 250, where as the induction appear to start at at least
500 and go up to 1000 for top of the range Neff. Is it really that much
better? Or am I paying for new technology that isn't required?

Thanks

Sarah

Old 23-05-2009, 08:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sarah wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen.
I'm in a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least 500 more than
the ceramic hobs. I us a gas hob at the moment, but want to switch
electric due the the ease of cleaning. Does anyone have an induction
hob, and what do you think of them? Worth the extra money? DH who
does no cooking at all, can't understand why I don't pick the
cheapest appliances on the market, but this project is costing an
awful lot of money and I want to get good appliances that will last
and will be a joy to use! Thanks

Sarah

Sarah, I think you'll receive good advice by posting your question on
the uk.food+drink.misc newsgroup. They'll have much more experience
with induction hobs than people in the US.

BTW - to another poster's question, the term "hob" has been around as
long as I can remember. I can remember my grandmother putting things
"on the hob"; i.e., stove.

Dora (ex-pat)

Old 23-05-2009, 09:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 13:07:06 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Sarah" wrote

I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm
in a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least 500 more than the
ceramic hobs.

What is a 'hob'?

Brit for burner

Not just Brit.
http://www.hgtv.com/kitchens/talk-li...ned/index.html

Matthew

--
Mail to this account goes to the bit bucket.
In the unlikely event you want to mail me replace usenet with my name
Old 23-05-2009, 09:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dora wrote on Sat, 23 May 2009 15:26:42 -0400:

Sarah wrote:
[...]

The use of the word "hob" to describe the whole heating unit or cooktop
is fairly recent. The "hob" was originally not the heater but the
supports that held the pots over a fire as the Oxford Dictionary will
verify.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 23-05-2009, 09:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 12:43:22 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

"Sarah" wrote

I'm in the process of picking all my appliances for my new kitchen. I'm in
a dilemma, as the induction hobs are at least 500 more than the ceramic
hobs.

What is a 'hob'?

a burner

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Induction hobs and stainless cookware zxcvbob General Cooking 34 11-12-2015 06:49 PM
New kitchen -- no more portable induction hobs! pltrgyst[_2_] General Cooking 26 24-10-2012 07:02 AM
Induction Hobs Stu Cooking Equipment 0 19-02-2008 12:50 AM
induction hobs [email protected] General Cooking 4 28-05-2007 10:58 PM
induction hobs whome General Cooking 7 23-08-2006 01:28 AM