Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Hans Fugal[_3_] Hans Fugal[_3_] is offline

Default seam side up or down

dougcullen wrote:
> hi kenneth, thanks for your response,
>
> w/o retarding, this sourdough has 2 hour bulk fermentation and a 2
> hour final fermentation.
> if i choose to retard the bulk dough, would i retard it immediately
> after mixing? due to other issues, the retarding time is quite long,
> about 20 hours.
> i've also considered decreasing the percentage of starter in the
> dough.... ?
>
> thanks,
>
> doug

I've been experimenting with retardation, and don't claim to be an
expert. But for a 1lb loaf or so I find the dough chills to the point
where activity is "slow" in about an hour, so I'd try 1 hour bulk on the
counter then put it in the fridge. If you're doing a retard on the order
of a day I don't think you'll have an overproof situation but hopefully
you'll get the same kind of result you were getting (plus whatever good
things you hope to get from retarding).