Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default Mmm... Peas!

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Evelyn > wrote:
> : > Peas are a vegetable that, I think, comes in three varieties, each of
> : > which has their virtues: fresh, frozen, and canned.
> : >
> : > The canned pea is, IMO, entirely unlike the other two. For me, it
> : > carries memories of childhood. It is food for when you've been sick
> and
> : > need some comfort -- a role similar to that of Junket Rennet Custard.
> : > Le Seure (sp?) are the best.
> : >
> : > The frozen pea goes into casseroles like tuna, and dishes like chicken
> : > pie or chicken (or turkey) and dumplings. It can also be served just
> : > hotted up and not overcooked with a pat of butter at Thanksgiving or
> : > some other meal when roasted poultry is served. Secondarily it may
> : > accompany roast lamb.
> : >
> : > Now, the fresh pea, that's an entirely different animal. It is
> lovingly
> : > separated from its pod and placed with its siblings and cousins and
> : > neighbors into a small pot. Boiling water, salt, and a teensy bit of
> : > sugar is added, and the lot is simmered until the biggest pea is just
> : > cooked. Quickly drained (the liquid saved for soup), a blob of butter
> : > is added, the lot shaken to get the butter distributed, and then they
> : > are served out into sauce dishes, one per eater. This ritual may mean
> : > that the rest of dinner waits for the peas, but that's fine because
> : > these are, after all, FRESH PEAS. They are eaten with reverence,
> : > spooned up and allowed to pop between the tongue and the roof of the
> : > mouth, little bundles of flavor and sweetness.
> : >
> : > PP, who likes her fresh peas
>

> : Great post! You just about covered it all!
> : Evelyn
>
> I always found it hard to cok fresh peas, as during the shelling period
> everyne kept comign into the kitchen and eating them, raw, from the bowl.
> How do ou get them to last to get into the pot?
>
> Wendy

I either do them myself, or I just use frozen peas. I always have a bag of
frozen peas in my freezer to toss a handful into this or that soup or stew.

--

Evelyn

"Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having
nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst
into laughter." -Longchenpa