Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Mmm... Peas!

Evelyn > wrote:
: > Peas are a vegetable that, I think, comes in three varieties, each of
: > which has their virtues: fresh, frozen, and canned.
: >
: > The canned pea is, IMO, entirely unlike the other two. For me, it
: > carries memories of childhood. It is food for when you've been sick and
: > need some comfort -- a role similar to that of Junket Rennet Custard.
: > Le Seure (sp?) are the best.
: >
: > The frozen pea goes into casseroles like tuna, and dishes like chicken
: > pie or chicken (or turkey) and dumplings. It can also be served just
: > hotted up and not overcooked with a pat of butter at Thanksgiving or
: > some other meal when roasted poultry is served. Secondarily it may
: > accompany roast lamb.
: >
: > Now, the fresh pea, that's an entirely different animal. It is lovingly
: > separated from its pod and placed with its siblings and cousins and
: > neighbors into a small pot. Boiling water, salt, and a teensy bit of
: > sugar is added, and the lot is simmered until the biggest pea is just
: > cooked. Quickly drained (the liquid saved for soup), a blob of butter
: > is added, the lot shaken to get the butter distributed, and then they
: > are served out into sauce dishes, one per eater. This ritual may mean
: > that the rest of dinner waits for the peas, but that's fine because
: > these are, after all, FRESH PEAS. They are eaten with reverence,
: > spooned up and allowed to pop between the tongue and the roof of the
: > mouth, little bundles of flavor and sweetness.
: >
: > PP, who likes her fresh peas

: Great post! You just about covered it all!
: Evelyn

I always found it hard to cok fresh peas, as during the shelling period
everyne kept comign into the kitchen and eating them, raw, from the bowl.
How do ou get them to last to get into the pot?

Wendy