Posted to rec.food.cooking
Stan Horwitz Stan Horwitz is offline

Default Eating at IKEA

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> A lot of their stuff is crap, but they do have some good stuff. I went
> there a few years ago to look for a stand of some sort for my TV.
> Everything in the stores around here was too small, and those that were
> large enough and had enough shelves for a TV, VCR, DVD. Stereo receiver
> and satellite receiver were megabucks. It also had to be low because
> the ceiling in the TV room is sloped. I found a nice one at IKEA, low
> enough to fit right up to the wall and allow for the ceiling slope and
> with enough surface area for the TV and speakers and with four shelves.
> best of all, it was only $75.
>
> I stock up on candles whenever I go there. They are a fraction of the
> price of most candles and they burn a long time without dripping wax all
> over.

I have an entertainment cabinet from Ikea that's unlike anything else I
have seen. I bought it four years ago and its holding up well. I just
wanted a black unit on wheels that could hold my stereo gear and a large
screen TV. Ikea is the only store that had anything close to what I
wanted, and at $300, it was very reasonable. I wanted something on
wheels so I could easily pull it away from the wall to get at the back
of my stereo components and it had to be big enough to hold a decent
size TV. I have a 42" flat screen high def TV and there's plenty of room
around it for me to get to the cable ports, even without rolling the
cabinet away from the wall. Plus Ikea sells CD/DVD cabinets that match,
so I have two cabinets on either side that hold my movie DVDs. It works
out great.

I also have a desk with a hutch that I have never seen anywhere, but at
Ikea. It was around $200 or so when I bought it four years ago with my
entertainment cabinet. I wanted a big disk with a hutch that could be
adjusted, plus adjustable shelves above the hutch. I used it up until
two months ago with my old Apple PowerMac G5 and a 23" Apple Cinema
Display. That old Mac died on me in March. I replaced it with a new 24"
iMac and much to my dismay, the iMac was 1" too tall. It hit the lower
shelf in the hutch. So I cleaned off that shelf, got an alans wrench and
I raised that shelf two inches. Now, my iMac fits nicely on my desk.
This adjustability is exactly why I bought that desk and it worked out
well. Its rock solid, and extremely functional, but I have to admit, it
is kind of ugly looking. The metal parts are gray and the desk and
shelves are black, but its the best computer desk I have ever owned. I
would love to get one in my office at work, but the supplier we have to
use for office furniture doesn't sell anything like it.