Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default tomato paste vs tomato sauce

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
"brooklyn1" > wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> >I looked on the label of a small can of tomato sauce, and I noticed
> > that the main ingredient was tomato paste. So would you be better off
> > just buying paste, and adding liquid to it? or would it not make much
> > difference. I have been a label reader for forty years, and cannot
> > believe that I never noticed this before.

Formulas change over time.

The USDA dictates what is permitted in tomato paste, last I checked it
hasn't changed since 1977.

> You obviously have not been reading labels carefully... with just about
> every product that contains tomato the tomato is reconstitued tomato
> paste/concentrate... all tomato sauce, all tomato juice, all ketchup, even
> Heinz. This the only reasonable method for maintaining product
> consistancy.

I started low carbing back in July 1999. At that time I read the
labels of various brands of tomato paste. Contadina was made
of tomatos and nothing else.

Well, that has not a whit to do with the fact that most all products
containing tomatoes employ tomato paste/concentrate.

All tomato products contain carbs, in the form of natural sugar. Most
brands of tomato paste contain only tomatoes. Some contain ascorbic acid
as a preservative, some add salt, none add carbs. And some do contain
spices, but even Contadina makes a version that contains spices.

http://www.contadina.com/ProductCate...Tomato%20Paste