Posted to rec.food.cooking
Food SnobŪ[_2_] Food SnobŪ[_2_] is offline

Default tomato paste vs tomato sauce

On May 4, 3:46*pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:
> > *wrote *on Mon, 4 May 2009 12:36:26 -0700 (PDT):

> >> Thanks
> >> I looked on the label of a small can of tomato sauce, and I noticed
> >> that the main ingredient was tomato paste. So would you be better off
> >> just buying paste, and adding liquid to it? or would it not make
> >> muchdifference. I have been a label reader for forty years, and
> >> cannotbelieve that I never noticed this before.

> > It's just a matter of convenience. There's less bother if a brand of
> > sauce pleases you but you might start with the paste if you intend to
> > add your own herbs etc.

> Yep. We even make our own tomato juice from paste now (we buy paste with
> no spices), since the day we noticed that all the tomato juice we were
> buying was from concentrate anyway.

The Wal Mart brand is "not from concentrate." It's cheap, and tastes
good, at least as good as canned tomato juice can taste.

> Serene
>
> --
> 42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!http://42magazine.com
>
> "But here's a handy hint: *if your fabulous theory for ending war and
> all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
> humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
> example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

--Bryan listen @ http://www.MySpace.com/TheBonobos

"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
--Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009