Posted to rec.food.cooking
Serene Vannoy Serene Vannoy is offline

Default tomato paste vs tomato sauce

James Silverton wrote:
> wrote on Mon, 4 May 2009 12:36:26 -0700 (PDT):
>
>> Thanks
>> I looked on the label of a small can of tomato sauce, and I noticed
>> that the main ingredient was tomato paste. So would you be better off
>> just buying paste, and adding liquid to it? or would it not make
>> muchdifference. I have been a label reader for forty years, and
>> cannotbelieve that I never noticed this before.

> It's just a matter of convenience. There's less bother if a brand of
> sauce pleases you but you might start with the paste if you intend to
> add your own herbs etc.

Yep. We even make our own tomato juice from paste now (we buy paste with
no spices), since the day we noticed that all the tomato juice we were
buying was from concentrate anyway.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory