Posted to rec.food.cooking
pavane[_3_] pavane[_3_] is offline

Default Nova Salmon snack

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

| "Stan Horwitz" > wrote
| >
| > Regular smoked salmon is salty. Nova is less salty, as its cured
| > differently than the regular stuff.
|
| "Regular" smoked salmon is not lox, it's well, smoked salmon, the kind one
| finds in the PNW (what's meant by "regular" I've no idea - as averse to
| irregular?). The saltier lox (to differentiate it from Nova) is sometimes
| refered to as belly lox (or just Lox). Lox is never refered to as smoked
| salmon.

Sigh. Once again the rest of the world is wrong, apparently:

"Cold smoked salmon is sometimes known in Canada and the United
States as lox, particularly on the East Coast, the word being
borrowed from German (lachs, German for salmon) or Yiddish."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoked_salmon
Smoked salmon comes in two distinct varieties: Hot smoked, or kippered, and cold smoked, or Nova
lox. The main difference is the brining process and the temperature during the smoking process. Hot
smoked salmon is fully cooked to 145 degrees where as cold smoked salmon is smoked at 80 degrees and
is actually cured but still raw and so should be frozen for parasite control.

http://www.kasilofseafoods.com/Smoking.htm

pavane

FoodBanter.com Database Error
Database Error Database error
The FoodBanter.com database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.foodbanter.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.foodbanter.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.